Super Contributor

Ladies - Put on those magnifiers!

Always was blessed with a nice complexion. Italian genes and all that. Put my makeup on with good lighting. Lookin' Good, P ( for a 66 year old). Then I put on my readers and took a look. Holy Madre de Dios, a million hairs ( both white and black) on my upper lip and blackheads on my nose! This old broad has to step up her game it seems. And the hair comes in the middle of the night and attacks! You have to look every morning it seems! With glasses!

I have been lax with my beauty routine because I retired and take care of my 2 yr. old granddaughters. But still no excuse!

BTW, anything good to scrub those blackheads off the nose?

Honored Contributor

Re: Ladies - Put on those magnifiers!

I have seen a tool which when pushed against a blackhead, pushes it out of the skin. I saw it in a catalog, but can't remember the name, but if you google it, the info will probably be there.

Honored Contributor

I was plagued with them until I got a Mia 2 Clarisonic about two years ago. My skin isn't perfect by any means but I have literally NO blackheads anymore!

mousiegirl mentioned a tool...JeanLouiseFinch recommended that tool on these boards a bit ago.

I purchased Tweezerman Stainless Steel No slip Skin Care Tool for $12 at beauty.com

It is a dual ended tool w/ different size 'loops' at each end. You can gently press against the skin to remove 'gunk' without squeezing w/ your fingers. It works well. You could probably get it at any good drug store too. Go to beauty.com and search for those words I highlighted so you know what you are looking for. It will help.

I hear ya on the Italian hairs..I check my 10x mirror every morning for the little buggers. I swear they grow in the car ride on the way to work!

Respected Contributor

Just this morning I had to use Biore nose strips. I thought those days were gone.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

pegomyheart - you want to be very careful about "scrubbing" your face. That can really do some damage if you choose something that's too rough. For me, using a good cleansing oil helped get rid of them, but I also mask and exfoliate several times a week. I also found an extraction tool (good memory RL) to be helpful sometimes, too, for a blemish here and there. The nose is a tricky place to use the tool, you could end up injuring yourself. It does work for other flat areas of the face though.

Honored Contributor

Easiest and cheapest solution: Dump the magnifying glass! {#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

But seriously, I've lived a long and happy life without one.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I have to use the magnifying side of my makeup mirror the last few years due to needing reading glasses.

I HOPE I am seeing what I need to see!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Isn't salycilic acid supposed to be good for blackheads and pores?

As far as the magnifying mirror and what it shows? I'm probably the only one that notices. Most people aren't getting that close to your face to see those things.

Trusted Contributor

You are not kidding, peg!! One day after picking up DS from school, he informed me that I was getting a mustache. When we arrived home, I inspected my upper lip closely. Lo and behold, there were several dark hairs sticking straight out!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I inspect my face every morning and evening because these pesky little hairs can appear in less than 12 hours. I was thrilled when the hair on my legs started vanishing after menopause (I'm 52 yo, btw). However, I am ticked off that it moved to my face. Post menopausal maintenance is very time consuming. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

Gross me out. Use an exfoliator once or twice a week. Burt's Bees sells a Blemish stick that is excellent for getting rid of pimples, etc. You better check your chin because a lot of women get long hairs growing under the chin. Welcome to "No more hormones, I'm turning into a Man"! ha! ha! Sometimes it feels like it with hair growing everywhere.

kindness is strength