Super Contributor

We obviously all have stressors in our lives....personally, professionally, relationally, spiritually, emotionally, mentally, physically, etc. I was wondering how others manage taking care of one's self while balancing the demands of family, schedules, self-care, work, etc?

Valued Contributor

Exercise, study of Buddhism - saying prayers and mantras in the evening and pampering - I like going to the hair salon.

Honored Contributor

I know this is really lame, but "taking care of myself" first means spending as much time as possible with my pet companion(s).

As a "from-the-womb" animal lover (like fellow animal guardian Betty White says), I'm totally in my element and it never fails to recharge me.

Nice thread, LL64, and cuddles to your Labbie. Smile

Valued Contributor

I can relax with sylvia. I can relax at the hair salon; but I pretty much lost it today when I went. My stylist is a lovely young thing to whom I've gone since she graduated. OK--It takes me 30 minutes to drive there. Today she was 30 minutes late. grrrrr OK that's over

Esteemed Contributor

Hi lucy, QVC, Feline & Sylvia -- You raise an important topic. I hope more people join in and give their opinions. Serenity is a decision and it doesn't just happen. I don't think it's a natural state. So, how do I get there? Focus on practicing gratitude. Quiet time meditating, prayers, socializing with good and positive people, volunteering time, putting in a good day's work, remembering to be friends to my family members, reject envious thoughts, exercise, care about the things that are important and don't care about things that are not. Then I start all over again the next day -- and often fail. But it's a better life than being stressed and angry.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor
On 1/27/2015 ury said:

Hi lucy, QVC, Feline & Sylvia -- You raise an important topic. I hope more people join in and give their opinions. Serenity is a decision and it doesn't just happen. I don't think it's a natural state. So, how do I get there? Focus on practicing gratitude. Quiet time meditating, prayers, socializing with good and positive people, volunteering time, putting in a good day's work, remembering to be friends to my family members, reject envious thoughts, exercise, care about the things that are important and don't care about things that are not. Then I start all over again the next day -- and often fail. But it's a better life than being stressed and angry.

What an insightful answer! This is a wonderful and a timely reminder for me Smiley Happy. Thank you! Also, thank you to the OP for starting this thread Smiley Happy
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

I speedwalk on the treadmill while listening to upbeat, girl power songs. That usually wears me out and calms me down.

ETA: Oh, and I pray like crazy, too. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Valued Contributor

Exercise and Prayer do help, but when the going gets rough it's nice to have wine and chocolates on hand.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Mary Bailey said:

Another response I love!!
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt