Trusted Contributor

So Andrew Lessman has a new supplement, Marine peptide collagen. Its a powder you mix with liquid. Suppose to help with, joints, skin, wrinkles and some other stuff.

So of course when wrinkiles were mentioned, I started researching other supplements w/ collagen.

My question -has anyone been using marine collagen supplements. If so does it really help wrinkles? and do yo u think AL is better than what is currently offered?

Super Contributor
I know in Japan the women there are all into drinking the liquid collagen. They are really into smooth beautiful skin. Perhaps there is something to it.
Trusted Contributor
On 1/26/2015 annabella said: I know in Japan the women there are all into drinking the liquid collagen. They are really into smooth beautiful skin. Perhaps there is something to it.

It just makes sense.

Respected Contributor
I totally ordered it last night!!! Hope it does what he says about the face!
Honored Contributor

Please, please talk with your physician(s).

I hate to bring bad news, but the physicians I work with say ingesting collagen is expensive and does absolutely nothing for the skin.

Those who have nice skin are seeing the benefits of the products they apply directly (or who have cosmetic procedures). Livestrong.com explains it well -- the collagen never will make it past the enzymes which digest it quickly:

~~~~~~

"Companies that manufacture foods and drinks that contain collagen claim that by ingesting their products, customers benefit from younger-looking skin and minimize the signs of aging, but the way collagen breaks down in the body does not transfer to your skin.

Since collagen is a protein, it breaks down into amino acids during digestion.

This process is what prevents the collagen you eat from natural sources and collagen-enhanced foods from passing along benefits to your skin in the form of less wrinkles or improved elasticity.

Eating collagen does not benefit the skin at all.

Topical products, such as creams and facial masks, often contain collagen as an anti-aging ingredient, but just as eating collagen will not transfer benefits to your appearance, there is no evidence that topical collagen will do so either.

Collagen comes in many forms, and most foods and drinks marketed as anti-aging products do not specify exactly what type of collagen they contain.

Some forms of collagen may stimulate arthritis, which could render collagen-enhanced foods detrimental for older people and those diagnosed with arthritis.

Check with your doctor before consuming products with added collagen."

~~~~~~

Again, please talk with your doctor(s).{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

The FutureDerm blog did a recent review of a new collagen peptide supplement powder here: https://www.futurederm.com/2015/01/20/sparkle-collagen-peptide-supplement-review/

Honored Contributor
On 1/26/2015 River Song said:

The FutureDerm blog did a recent review of a new collagen peptide supplement powder here: https://www.futurederm.com/2015/01/20/sparkle-collagen-peptide-supplement-review/

They're promoting the product, it's one of their sponsors.

Please keep that in mind, and ask a physician (who's not selling the product) about the science.

At first glance, it sounds good (and easy) but as the Esurance commercial says, "it doesn't work that way."{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

i looked at it because collagen seemed to make sense...but the reviews aren't great.

i have been thinking about trying phytoceramides. some posted here about them maybe 6 or 8 months ago. curious to know their results!

Super Contributor

I use Bulletproof Upgraded Collagen or Great Lakes Gelatin Co. Collagen Hydrosylate and definitely think it helps. In the past people used to take in more collagen, gelatin by eating more skin, marrow, bones and not just the muscle meat (different amino acid profiles). You can also just make bone broth but taking collagen and gelatin is easier.

I used to use the Neocell Super Collagen Type I and III in the past but now I realize how bad it tastes in comparison to the above two.

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-upgraded-collagen/

https://www.upgradedself.com/products/bulletproof-upgraded-collagen-protein

http://www.iherb.com/Great-Lakes-Gelatin-Co-Collagen-Hydrolysate-Beef-16-oz-454-g/52774

BENEFITS OF COLLAGEN

• Fast tissue repair – Upgraded Collagen provides the particular proteins that ensure cohesion, elasticity and regeneration of skin, cartilage and bone.2
  • Greater flexibility and mobility – Upgraded Collagen makes the main building blocks of connective tissue more bioavailable and better absorbed into joints for greater flexibility and mobility.2
  • Stronger bones and joints – Upgraded Collagen supports strong, heavier, denser bones and is an excellent source of proline and glycine, two building blocks of cartilage that are essential for refueling after exercise and sports.2
  • Revitalized skin – Upgraded Collagen promotes skin hydration, reduces the number of fine lines, prevents deeper wrinkles, and maintains the suppleness of your skin from the inside-out.3
  • Weight loss – Upgraded Collagen (97% pure protein) helps with weight loss by delivering quick satiation of hunger.4
  • Build Muscle – Upgraded Collagen supports muscle building by facilitating the synthesis of creatine in the body.5
  • Reduce aging – Upgraded Collagen replaces the necessary proteins that diminish and breakdown from aging.6
  • Deeper Sleep – Upgraded Collagen taken at bedtime deepens sleep, provides arginine to stimulate growth hormone release, and provides nutrients necessary to perform tissue repair while sleeping.
  • Brain Function – Upgraded Collagen provides glycine, a neurotransmitter involved in motor and sensory pathways as well as ATP synthesis.
Honored Contributor

How much is it?