Regular Contributor

O/T looking for a memory foam topper

I am looking for a memory foam topper that includes a cover or mattress pad. We do need a new mattress but that will have to wait. Anyone have any good experience in purchasing one?
Honored Contributor

Re: O/T looking for a memory foam topper

Is there a reason it has to include the pad? I bought a separate topper and it's worked well with two different mattress pads I've had.

The mattress pad helps hold it in place so it doesn't shift around. My memory foam mattress pad is a 2.5 or 3 inch Canopy (Walmart brand) I bought about 6 or 7 years ago and it's fantastic. It does not have a cover, it's just the foam. When I first bought it, I put it over my mattress pad and it slid around a lot. I would have to adjust it frequently. Once I put it under the mattress pad, that was no longer an issue. My current mattress pad is a BeautyRest, but I can't remember what brand the previous pad was.

Regular Contributor

Is there an odor from the memory pad? I was concerned about that.
Honored Contributor

If you're near a COSTCO, they sell a wonderful one with a cover, but it doesn't have a pad.
Honored Contributor

One of the best investments we made was the Novaform memory foam topper from Costco. We bought a new mattress and box spring about a year and a half ago. We hate it, it doesn't feel at all like the showroom model. We should have returned it immediately but talked ourselves into thinking maybe it needed to get a little broken in and then we just felt stuck with it. It was expensive and we're not in the position to fork over that kind of money again so soon so we bought the topper. The topper fits into it's own pocket in the mattress cover and then the whole thing goes over the mattress. You will need very deep pockets on your fitted sheet to accommodate the thickness, or you'll be adjusting your corners every day (which is what we have to do with some of our sheets, but none of them even come close to popping off so it's not hugely inconvenient). Every night when I first get into bed, that aaaah feeling comes over me and I'm once again reminded that this topper makes it possible for us to enjoy our bed. Oh, the topper we bought has a seasonal aspect to it, too - one side for cool weather and the other for warm weather.

http://www.costco.com/Novaform%c2%ae-3%e2%80%9d-Seasonal-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper--.product.10003...

ETA - I can smell something odd even if it's coming from another room. The topper I purchased had no unpleasant odor.

Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 happy2behere said: Is there an odor from the memory pad? I was concerned about that.

I don't recall there being an odor with the first topper I bought. I recently bought another for the twin bed I sleep on when I visit my parents every Christmas. I bought it from Amazon and it was affordable, but still smelled terrible a week after I unpacked it. It was also too big for the bed. The mattress on that bed is SO, so terrible that I didn't care and just let it slide around, but several inches just poured down one side of the mattress, pulling the rest toward that side. Next time I visit, I'll have to try and cut 6 inches off one side and the bottom, which won't be fun. At least it should stop smelling so bad by then! While I wouldn't recommend that one, it was still better than just the mattress alone.

I recently bought two memory foam pillows from HSN. They smelled terrible and I was worried, but I let them air out for two days and they are now fine.

Honored Contributor

I have this one from Costco since October. Some reviews talked about a smell so I was prepared for that (especially since I am sensitive to smells), but mine was fine, no smell at all and I've been enjoying it since October.

http://www.costco.com/SleepBetter%E2%84%A2-IsoCool%E2%84%A2-by-Isotonic%C2%AE-Memory-Foam-Mattress-T...

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I bought the one from Costo just last week. No smell and I put my mattress pad over it. Love it.
Respected Contributor

Costco has a superb one.The smell is not just from a Costco brand....it's just the smell. It goes away before long. I have the Costco ones on every bed I my home,and in my bosses home,mountain and beach house. It truly upped the comfort and unlike some ,are not hot. They are on sale periodically.
Respected Contributor

I have to agree that the Costco topper was a great investment. I bought it after I was diagnosed and knew I'd be in bed for quite a period of time. So worth it!