Respected Contributor

Alterna Bamboo Volume 3-Piece Haircare Collection

Has anyone tried this? Is it a thickening shampoo? How does it provide volume?

Respected Contributor

Re: Alterna Bamboo Volume 3-Piece Haircare Collection

I wasn't impressed with the Alterna shampoo or conditioner. The only product that I love from this line is the 48 hr thickening spray. It's fantastic. Not sure what's in the 3 piece set you're talking about. I shop at Penneys for salon products. They have good sales.

Respected Contributor

its here on the q

Super Contributor

I bought the 3 piece set when it was a TSV. I like the shampoo and conditioner, I LOVE the 48-hour Volume spray. I now use that as my only styling product, eliminating two or three other products I was previously using. Since I never use up conditioner at the same rate as shampoo, I canceled my A/D plan, and have since purchased the 48 hr. Volume Spray separately and may purchase the shampoo separately as well. Since I alternate using the Bamboo conditioner and Kenra deep conditioning treatment, it will probably be quite some time before I need another Bamboo conditioner. I recommend this set. I had previously tried the Alterna Anti-Aging products and was not nearly as impressed, although I did use them up.

I have no idea how the Bamboo Volume products manage to add volume. It is not by drying the hair, as I feared might be the case. I have fine, thinning, straight hair and these products seem "weightless", in that my hair remains clean-looking and feeling for the full 48 hours and not weighed down.

I would recommend you try them. If you don't want to invest in the large sizes, I suggest you check out the smaller sizes of shampoo and conditioner on Amazon.

Lola
Respected Contributor

I am looking for shampoos that volume by thickening specifically. I have super long hair so shampoos that make your hair weightless do not work for my hair is heavy from being long so plumping shampoos work best.

pantene strong and full is fantastic at doing this but my idea dream shampoo is a thickening shampoo that is sulfate free and comes in big pump bottles. Ideally sulfate free that strengthens and plumps up.

Respected Contributor

Hello, kcladyz. Smile

Can't say I've tried Alterna....actually, I didn't even know that QVC sold it. I was told that there actually is a lot of variety on QVC if you go online to look for it. It's just seldom shown on the air.

You said your dream shampoo is something that is sulfate-free and thickening? I haven't used this, but Nick Chavez (sorry if anyone is tired of looking at that. I know I post about it a lot) makes a product called Advanced Plump 'N Thick Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner. The description of it says that it's sulfate-free, paraben-free, thickening, safe for color-treated and chemically-treated hair, hydrating and moisturizing, and strengthening. It doesn't come in a really big bottle, though. I don't know if 8 oz. is enough.

Anyway, hope you find something that works for your hair.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Trusted Contributor

On 1/25/2015 kcladyz said:

I am looking for shampoos that volume by thickening specifically. I have super long hair so shampoos that make your hair weightless do not work for my hair is heavy from being long so plumping shampoos work best.

pantene strong and full is fantastic at doing this but my idea dream shampoo is a thickening shampoo that is sulfate free and comes in big pump bottles. Ideally sulfate free that strengthens and plumps up.

kc, have you tried the Living Proof line - the company that Jennifer Aniston co-owns? One of their formulas called "PHD" which stands for "perfect hair day" has been given great reviews in Allure magazine and others. I'm curious about it because I keep hearing about it.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/25/2015 TuesdayTaylor said:
kc, have you tried the Living Proof line - the company that Jennifer Aniston co-owns? One of their formulas called "PHD" which stands for "perfect hair day" has been given great reviews in Allure magazine and others. I'm curious about it because I keep hearing about it.

I'm currently using some samples of the Living Proof, Perfect Hair Day products. I went into Sephora intending to look at the Alterna spray and the sales associate recommended the PHD stuff. She said the Alterna had silicones in it and she didn't think it would work for me. I have samples of the shampoo, conditioner & and styler/primer that you put in your hair before styling products. They're really nice. I have fine, soft, hair and I wanted a product that I could go a day in-between shampoos and not have my hair limp & flat. So far the shampoo cleans w/o stripping, no frizziness, and my hair seems to look ok the 2nd day. I think I might get these products when my samples run out.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/26/2015 cleogrl said:
On 1/25/2015 TuesdayTaylor said:

I'm currently using some samples of the Living Proof, Perfect Hair Day products. I went into Sephora intending to look at the Alterna spray and the sales associate recommended the PHD stuff. She said the Alterna had silicones in it and she didn't think it would work for me. I have samples of the shampoo, conditioner & and styler/primer that you put in your hair before styling products. They're really nice. I have fine, soft, hair and I wanted a product that I could go a day in-between shampoos and not have my hair limp & flat. So far the shampoo cleans w/o stripping, no frizziness, and my hair seems to look ok the 2nd day. I think I might get these products when my samples run out.

Thanks, Cleo!

Respected Contributor

I went to beautybrands and picked up the hempz volumizing shampoo which is sulfate free. Normally $45 each bottle got it on sale $12.99