Frequent Contributor

I fell and fractured the ball of my humerus OT, I know

my shoulder. It is devastatingly painful and has brought my life to a screeching halt. I have to immobilize it for two weeks have an X-ray, then go another two weeks and X-ray again to ensure it has begun to knit together. Trying to sleep is difficult and painful. I am on painmeds, taking Ibuprofen, using ice and trying to keep my wits about me. Any suggestions for comfort or encouragement would be appreciated. tia

Respected Contributor

Re: I fell and fractured the ball of my humerus OT, I know

Ouch. I was shocked at how painful a broken bone is. No experience with your particular fracture but did have to deal with one years ago that forced me to sleep in a different position than normal for me - man it took days to adjust and finally sleep.

For me, the trick for finally being able to get to sleep was using large body pillows that supported me and prevented me from rolling over or trying to get in my normal sleep position. The pillows allowed me to relax my muscles that before the pillows I was keeping tensed trying to stay in position.

Take care and hope you find relief soon.

Honored Contributor

Oh, ouch. That is a shame, Gigiwiki. But this, too, shall pass. I know that doesn't help when you're in the throes of pain and immobility, but thank goodness there is an end in sight. Follow your doctor's instructions and you will heal, hopefully quickly.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Yes, a broken bone hurts. And I'm sure having a shoulder out of commission affects you and your life in many ways. Just follow the doctor's orders and give healing time to take place. I wonder if you'll need physical therapy at some point to restore normal motion and function. Time and patience. Best of luck with this.

Respected Contributor

Arnica and/or frankincense for the sore shoulder. I use heat on my knee because the knee cap slips out of joint multiple times a day. They both do, but the left is worse. I also have shoulders that dislocate. I'm dealing with my left one that dislocates while I sleep and makes for a sore shoulder the next day, or several days. I use hot baths of Epsom salt too! i sleep with two heating pads, one for the knees and one for the back/shoulders. I also have fibromyalgia, so pain is part of my daily life. I don't' use pain meds but turmeric and Zyflamend for the inflammation. I use the below.

Product Details Local at WalMart/CVS/Target?Walgreens

Product DetailsAmazon

Trusted Contributor

Very sorry to hear what you're going through! Hope you have a fast and complete recovery.

Valued Contributor

With shoulder/arm issues, sleeping in a recliner can make it a bit easier. I'm so sorry you are going through such pain!

Honored Contributor

Pull on pants, for sure!

Trusted Contributor

OP - sending sympathy, understanding and positive healing vibes.

I had a terrible fall 2 months ago on Thanksgiving Day. Most of the damage was to my face (broken nose, 2 major black eyes and a badly split lip), but I also hurt both my arms and shoulders.

I don't think I broke any bones, other than my nose. But my shoulder must have been dislocated or out of whack somehow because the pain all the way down my arm through the inside of my elbow, wrist and into my fingers was excruciating and practically paralyzing. I couldn't so much as turn a door knob or pick up a plate. Thankfully my shoulder must have popped back in place as my arms and hands feel back to normal as of a couple weeks ago.

I still have a injured and sore nose and damaged and uncomforatble lower lip though. Even one of my black under eyes hasn't gone completely away!

Anyway, entirely different scenario, but I do feel for you even if I don't know your exact pain.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the ideas and sympathy. I guess it really got to me at 3 am when I realized how long and complex this will be. MrsSweetieBear, I cannot figure out why my face did not hit the floor as I went straight down. My arm caught on the wall I was parallel to and it seems my shoulder took the major impact.

Okey dokey, I will try the recliner. Thanks to all.