Respected Contributor

OT: not getting the Flu vaccine put me into respiratory arrest and the ICU for seven days

I will not insist that everybody runs out to get a Flu shot: I am well aware of the arguments against it-I was one of those against it-particularly this year. We were being told they overshot the antigen shift and this year's vaccine offered a mere 30% protection rate. On Jan 6 I woke up short of breath. By the time evening came, I knew I was in trouble. We went to to ER.. I remember feeling hot and sweating......and then I went into respiratory arrest and was placed on a ventilator. Mercifully, I don't remember anything from that week because I was kept heavily sedated to keep from "fighting" the ventilator. After seven days, I went to a step down unit when out of the blue, I developed atrial fibrillation: An emergency cardioversion was done. Thankfully, I was once again sedated and woke up with tears of happiness: Above anything else, I feel AAdonai's love carried me. All total, I spent two weeks in the hospital and I have a long road to recovery. I am going to be busy with Home Health visits and PT for awhile....all I am saying is think twice before you totally decide against vaccination. There are no simple answers, and my doctors have said that had I been immunized, I probably would have gotten the Flu anyway BUT, probably not as severely. Note, I used the word "probably"- not "certainly". Nobody on my health care team claimed to have all the answers, or to know "what might have been". I sincerely mean this: be well. I don't want to start a debate.....but I can't help but wonder if things would have been better for me had I taken the vaccine......Enjoy today-enjoy every little mundane detail your daily life holds for you......Hugs, Poodlepet2
Esteemed Contributor

Re: OT: not getting the Flu vaccine put me into respiratory arrest and the ICU for seven days

OMGosh, I'm so sorry you went through that. Hugs. Happy to hear you are on the mend.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

Re: OT: not getting the Flu vaccine put me into respiratory arrest and the ICU for seven days

Take care of yourself Poodlepet2 - and Thanks for taking time to share this ordeal. Take it easy and 'enjoy' your PT too.

Honored Contributor

I can't tell you how many patients I have had to care for in ICU on ventilators because of pneumonia after having the flu. Back before we could treat pneumonia effectively many people died from the flu. I cringe when I hear the people on this BB carry on about why they won't get a flu shot. Not to mention all the nuts who won't get their kids vaccinated for anything at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Poodlepet, I'm glad you're on the road to recovery. Many years ago I almost died of the flu. It took 8 months to get my asthma back under control. Now I get flu shots every year. Many people use the term flu to describe various upper respiratory bugs but real influenza is wholly different. It comes on very suddenly. I went to an aerobics class in the morning, feeling fine, and by late afternoon I could not move. And had trouble breathing. The pain and aching were indescribable. My husband had to get me out of bed and walk me to the bathroom, I was that weak and hurting. Flu temps can be very high. I had just over 105. My doctor, who's normally impossible to reach, called my husband every day to see how I was doing. One more day of the high temps would have put me in the hospital. It's the sickest I've ever been...and that includes my two bouts of cancer. In my town, a 37 year old mother of a three year old boy died of flu the same week I had it. People need to understand just how serious the flu can be.
Super Contributor

So sorry for your experience and now that you are on the mend, take care and post when you can to let us know how you are doing.

Respected Contributor

On 1/22/2015 happy housewife said:

I can't tell you how many patients I have had to care for in ICU on ventilators because of pneumonia after having the flu. Back before we could treat pneumonia effectively many people died from the flu. I cringe when I hear the people on this BB carry on about why they won't get a flu shot. Not to mention all the nuts who won't get their kids vaccinated for anything at all.

While sometimes your delivery could be a bit more smoother or person friendly ..I do totally agree with what you are trying to convey here lol!

Just gotta work on that delivery though LOL!

Respected Contributor

Very frightening for you and your family, I'm sure! Wishing you the best in your recovery. Thanks for sharing your experience.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Esteemed Contributor

To your health, Poodlepet2. How dreadful. And the nagging "what if" questions - I hope you have a buoyant support network and can get past this effectively.

Thank you for the reminder about the fragility of life. It's very easy to take that for granted. You have reminded me to make this the best day of my life.

Take care.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

So sorry you went through this. I can empathize with you because I have been in the ER with the flu several times, even when I have gotten the flu shot.

Been sick for almost 3 weeks now again, two rounds of antibiotics and steroids, and I can't shake the infection. But I am thankful it is not the flu!