Contributor

IT brushes - how do you clean them? TSV help.....

I have several of the IT brushes....I wear the CC +50 foundation....and for the life of me it seems I cannot clean my brushes clean enough....yuk.....I have tried hand soap and shampoo and the hottest water I can stand.....and they still aren't clean enough. For the record, I am using the foundation brush that came in the TSV with jumbo CC foundation.

I am also on the fence about today's TSV.....I cannot use the Celebration Foundation or the Bye bye undereye....shows every pore and fine wrinkle in my face.....is the powder the same consistency and the concealer as these other products?

As always your candid comments are encouraged and appreciated.

Valued Contributor

Re: IT brushes - how do you clean them? TSV help.....

You can use a silicone potholder and squirt a little baby shampoo on it. Dampen the brush with warm water and swish the brush around on the silicone potholder. There are some costly makeup brush cleaners out there in silicone that cost way more than a potholder from Target, Walmart, or the grocery store. Since the IT brushes are synthetic, using the silicone helps to gently scrub the yuck off of them. Good luck!

Super Contributor

The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver. This will clean and condition your brushes better than anything. This video shows how to use it, but she's a bit too rough with hers, IMO. I'm much more gentle with mine and it cleans them. Also keep your brushes pointed downward so the water doesn't get into the ferrule.

I think the Masters brush cleaner is also available Hobby Lobby. They should have it at most craft stores.

*edited for spelling*

Honored Contributor

Have you tried the same makeup remover you use for your face? What takes makeup off your face should also take it off your brushes. You can also try dish soap instead of hand soap. I use brush cleaner, Purity Made Simple (face wash by Philosophy), or dish soap. I put Brush Guards on to dry them, but if you don't have Brush Guards, this is my favorite video showing a great way to dry bushes overnight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3lwBfyV_OE

Respected Contributor

LOL. I bought the Masters Brush Cleaner at Michaels. The brush guards are good because you can stand them up in a cup and let them dry. Otherwise, you can get a benjabelle brush stand which I have. I bought a red silicone oven mitt at Homegoods. I use purity as well to clean the brushes which I just did this weekend.

Two sided brushes should be washed one side at a time and dried before cleaning the other side.

I have lots of It Cosmetics Brushes. The brushes with the Black handle are the best and Jaime doesn't include these in her TSVs anymore.

Super Contributor

On 1/19/2015 ChynnaBlue said:

Have you tried the same makeup remover you use for your face? What takes makeup off your face should also take it off your brushes. You can also try dish soap instead of hand soap. I use brush cleaner, Purity Made Simple (face wash by Philosophy), or dish soap. I put Brush Guards on to dry them, but if you don't have Brush Guards, this is my video shows my favorite way to dry bushes overnight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3lwBfyV_OE

Hey, I've seen your video! A few years ago when one of my brushes got all smushed and flayed. Great job, btw!

Trusted Contributor

I use regular anti bacterial liquid soap. I do them in the evening and let them dry overnight.

Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2015 Snow Owl said:
On 1/19/2015 ChynnaBlue said:

Have you tried the same makeup remover you use for your face? What takes makeup off your face should also take it off your brushes. You can also try dish soap instead of hand soap. I use brush cleaner, Purity Made Simple (face wash by Philosophy), or dish soap. I put Brush Guards on to dry them, but if you don't have Brush Guards, this is my video shows my favorite way to dry bushes overnight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3lwBfyV_OE

Hey, I've seen your video! A few years ago when one of my brushes got all smushed and flayed. Great job, btw!

Sorry, I edited and phrased that all wrong. That's not MY video, it's my FAVORITE video showing how to dry brushes. I had nothing to do with the making of that video, that's a makeup artist named Dustin Hunter.

Occasional Contributor

I use a silicone brush egg and J&J Head to Toe baby wash - they come out beautiful. If you google Brush Egg there are videos and information.

Contributor

Ladies.....you are the best! I knew I just had to ask.