Respected Contributor

I just "joined the club" today. Wheww! That was kinda scary. {#emotions_dlg.scared} Have sort of mixed feelings, but looking forward to the "next chapter" -- a new reinvention of myself .. a better one, hopefully. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Please feel free to share your stories.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Ladies who are Retired ...

Congratulations, rina! Your time is your own now, so do whatever you want when you want.

I never had an official planned retirement per se, just decided to stopped working in 2010 due to some other things that I was going through. I've turned into a real homebody for the most part. It's an adjustment to be home every day, and sometimes in the evenings too. That's one reason I say my dog came along at just the right time!

Esteemed Contributor

Welcome to the club, rina! Congratulations! Are you going to stay home? or find new hobbies? Enjoy yourself!

I've told my story here before - I retired a couple years ago, but I only stayed home a couple months. I went back to school and went to work part time (when I choose) in a field that had only been my hobby in the past = gardening and landscaping. I donated all my suits and high heels, and now live in jeans and sneakers. Only wear makeup when I feel like it - and I don't feel like it very often. I keep my hair in a "wash and wear" cut. I'm stress-free! relaxed! content! Hubby and I travel when we want and usually spur-of-the-moment. We're visiting parts of the USA we've never seen before. Our lives have done a complete about-face. Finally! all that hard work and saving money paid off.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I love it, get up when you want, go to bed when you want, wear your pj's/robe all day ....... do whatever "you" want to do when you want to do it, LOL! The best part to me, is not having to get out in the morning on bad weather days! Enjoy!

Valued Contributor

Congrats, rina! I retired at the end of 2012 after 30 years of public service in a state office. I then, at my managers request, went back part time for an additional 14 months and I no longer had the fire I once had. So, I resigned and never looked back!! Like JeanLouiseFrench said you can do whatever you want to do. I thought I would find it hard in the cold of winter to find things to do but not the case. ENJOY!! You have earned it.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

@ JLF, You know what's funny? I've been kinda "down" the last 2 weeks, knowing I'd have to make a decision and I'd not been taking care of myself.

Well, after I turned in my retirement papers, my beauty addiction kicked in hard! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

I stopped at Target and bought two hair conditioners, then came home, did a scrub and gave myself a Borghese mask. Smile

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Congratulations! So glad you joined the club! Enjoy! I am still trying to decide exactly how to spend my time... it seems like a ""kid in a candy store"" kind of feeling! Walked today for the first time in years... it felt great! More later... what are you thinking of doing/reading/piddling around the house?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

congratulations rina33. I retired 9 months ago at 62 and couldn't be happier. I was in a very stressful job where people relied on me to make decisions all day long. the relief of stress has made a huge difference in my daily life now. I sleep better. feel less anxious. I loved my job but can honestly say that being retired has given me a sense of freedom that I have never experienced before.

give yourself some time to decompress. enjoy the process of realizing that your life and your time are all yours now, and you can do whatever you want to do.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

Rina, I retired in Sept after 35 years of running an office. I thought I was going to have a hard time, but it just didn't happen. The first 2 weeks, I slept a lot. I had long hours at my job and a long commute. I think I just needed to calm down. After that, I decided to just walk…I love it. Do 3 miles everyday. I too, got a puppy and love every minute of it. I.m still feeling my way and discovering new things, I think its a slow process. But I'm busy everyday doing things I like. You'll find your niche!!

Trusted Contributor

At first, I had a hard time staying around the house since it seemed strange to be there all the time. But, I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do so I sat down and made some lists and started to work from those lists. Make sure you take time for yourself - don't let your family or friends eat up all your time. Below are some examples of the "lists" I put together for myself:

Things that you have always wanted to do around your house but haven't had the time to do them (organize rooms, closets, drawers, old paperwork, photos, painting)

Places in and around your community that you have wanted to visit for the first time or see again (museums, special exhibits, touristy spots)

Travel spots you've always wanted to visit

Classes you are interested in taking (for example, I took different types of craft classes and a college class on Ancient Art and Architecture)

Put together a calendar of festivals and community events (it is amazing how many free but interesting activities there are even in small communities) that are of interest to you

Potential volunteer opportunities (I ended up working with plant specimens for a botanical research group which was completely different from anything I had ever done but very fulfilling.)

Those are just a few things, but the most important is to enjoy this time in your life.