Respected Contributor

SIMPLIFY 2015--WEEK 3--all can join! Support for those who want to spend less

Week 3 already! This weekend, I cleaned out 2 book cases and ended up with 3 boxes of books that I did not intend to read. So instead of 3 stacks of books (about 30 books per stack) on the floor and on top of one book case, I have reduced that to 1 stack on top of the book case (about 30 books) and everything else in the book case that I intend to read. If I cleaned the one out in my bedroom, I could probably get rid of the stack to be read. I intend to read all the books in the stack before moving on to the unread books in my case. I even passed up the new James Patterson book at the Mart this weekend.

I got my entry way cleaned out yesterday too.

One of my projects will be my closets. I was reading one of my "get rid of clutter books" and the author used the 40 hanger method--reduce your closet to 40 hangers (with clothes). The idea is that you will keep only the things you love and wear them more. In preparation for this project, I counted the hanging clothes in my master closet--194 hanging things. If I were to subscribe to this method, I would have to reduce my clothing to 1/5 of what I have. I don't know that I am ready to be that ruthless. But something to think about.

I need to choose what area I tackle next. I'm thinking the living room/dining room or the upstairs bathroom.

Hope you all have a successful week! I purchased one thing over the weekend--it was an athletic belt that holds id, a small mp3 player and keys. I racewalk competitively in the winter and hate having to find clothes with pockets to hold all that stuff, or I wear my keys on a lanyard around my neck and even just a car key adds too much weight.

Super Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015--WEEK 3--all can join! Support for those who want to spend less

I haven't bought anything that I didn't need and I cleaned out my shoes. I have a lot to donate. Skincare is my main weakness. I made a list of what I'm currently using and have already decided on a few things that I'll finish using but not repurchase. Makeup was pretty easy. I have a foundation that I love and plenty of everything else.

Hope you beauties are all being successful in 2015:-)

Frequent Contributor

Re: SIMPLIFY 2015--WEEK 3--all can join! Support for those who want to spend less

Good Morning All!

I, too, had a very productive weekend of cleaning and decluttering. What started as a simple clearing out of papers and small things I didn't need turned into quite the project. I now have 8 HUGE laundry bags filled to capacity with clothing, coats, handbags, shoes, books, kitchen and househould items, video games, a suitcase, and countless electronics and miscellaneous items that I even forgot were in my closets. Thanks to you all, I've really gone in head first and feel so liberated.

I did do some spending but there were for essential items, such as groceries and the bags to put all of my donation items in, and my Turbo Tax software, in preparation for completing my taxes. I've made an appointment with Salvation Army to pick up all of my stuff in the next month, so it gives me time to inventory everything I'm donating, go back and reassess what I did decide to keep and weed out more, if at all possible, and clear out what I need to toss.

I hope Week 3 provides more motivation and that everyone meets whatever goals they've set up for themselves for this week. Soon, it'll be a month! Best of luck everyone!

Jolexi

Honored Contributor

Ok, I admit it, I fell off the wagon this weekend, Saturday had too much going on, then Sunday, just vegged out. Today I climb back on the purge wagon. I WILL finish my kitchen cabinets! Even though my hubby is home sick today.

"To each their own, in all things".
Frequent Contributor

snickster,

A little rest and reprieve is perfectly ok Smile Sometimes it's good to step away for a bit of "fresh air" and perspective and then when you are ready and able, you get back to it. As long as you are determined to do it (even if it's a little at a time), then it's all good. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Thx, Jolexi, that is my theory too.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I didn't work more than a couple of hours on my projects--if I work at them all day, I will get burned out. I suppose it is time to tackle a bigger project and not do all the "easy" ones right up front.

Contributor

I love reading all your stories. I've done a lot of purging over the last year and even though I was told how much better I'd feel afterwards, I was still amazed at how true that was. It's as if I can breathe more deeply. Every time I open my closet, or a drawer, or look at bookshelves, not seeing things crammed and lying on top of each other is such a joy! Now my challenge is to not buy anything I don't need. In retirement I need to spend less and build my savings. Since the holidays it's gone well, but time will tell. Thanks to you all for your continued encouragement!

Valued Contributor

For those of you who are beauty junkies....one thing that I have done to streamline is re purpose some of the products. I have several dispensers for hand lotion located around the house. If I buy a product (for example serum) and paid too much to throw out yet say I didn't like it...I will pump it into the hand lotion dispenser etc. I also do this with face cleanser by putting it into soap dispensers that I have in the kitchen, bathrooms, etc. It was just too hard to toss etc. I read this in a magazine. I have also taken face moisturizer and used it as body lotion etc. Anyway, you get the picture...it is about using up products to get your inventory down to what you want.

Respected Contributor

I use body wash in my hand soap dispensers