Frequent Contributor

Expensive High End Foundations - Are they really worth it for those that own them?

Hi everyone. I was wondering for those people who own and have used really expensive high end foundations, are they worth it? I am talking about foundations from Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Givenchy, etc.) Foundations that are $50. or more.

I just can't see spending it unless it is so amazing. Tell me, have you noticed a difference with these that other foundations just don't do?

Thank you for your input. God bless you all. : )

Frequent Contributor

Re: Expensive High End Foundations - Are they really worth it for those that own them?

I have tried loads of foundations and my go to is always Chanel. It not only matches my complexion perfectly, but....I dunno, it just seems to blend so much better than other brands. I use a liquid foundation, btw. A little goes a long way, so the expense seems a bit more acceptable to me. Good luck with your search!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Expensive High End Foundations - Are they really worth it for those that own them?

I have EL's Re Nutriv Intensive Lift. It doesn't lift a thing but it is very hydrating, nice finish and very long lasting.

Is it worth the $? A little goes a very, very long way so in the end it works out.

Not a HG for sure but it is nice.

Contributor

I also use Chanel foundation and like Kates BFF said it is so much better than any other foundation I have used. It is so smooth.

Valued Contributor

I am swearing by Clarins Extra Comfort cream foundation this winter. It's pricey but you only need the smallest amount since it is so rich and very easy to blend. But it doesn't feel greasy and not shiny. The jar will last for a very long time. My husband actually told me he noticed my skin looked really smooth and looked like I wasn't even wearing makeup! I also like Chanel, Ellis Faas and by Terry. I do think they are made from better quality ingredients and make my skin look good. But I do have some less expensive foundations that I like such as L'Oreal Visible Lift Blur.

Honored Contributor

I have one foundation that was $48 by Laura Mercier (she has wonderful foundations). I felt it was worth every penny. She also has a new one that is like a second skin with coverage to medium and long lasting which will be my next purchase when I finish up what I have. It's the one with Fluide in the name and what a beautiful finish. When it comes to foundation, I want one that does not look like I am wearing one and has lasting power. I only owned one drugstore foundation and it was not bad but did rub off more and you are not going to get the finish like a better foundation can give IMO.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

For me, it would be a qualified no.

But, I would pay for a foundation that I LIKED for my skin tone. For being very fair (think all Irish descent!), almost all feel too YELLOW for me.

If I don't like the color, it doesn't matter how much I have spent. I have gone through Josie Maran, Laura Mercier, NARS, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Chanel, Edward Bess, IT Cosmetics, Bobbi Brown, Korres, philosophy, Skinn, and I know many more.

I have a bottle of Cover Girl that was the best match for my skin tone, and the least expensive. I need to try that color in a different formula, as this one is way too dry for me now.

No matter what the quality is, for me, if the color is off, doesn't matter what I pay.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

For me, yes. I've tried many times to use less expensive or drugstore foundations and it always proves to be a mistake. Believe me, I would prefer to spend less money on skincare and foundation.

Honored Contributor

I use Laura Mercier's Silk Creme foundation. It's $47. I consider that very expensive, but it lasts forever. I love it because it's full coverage yet doesn't look like you're wearing a lot of foundation. It's very natural and goes on smoothly. I have very fair skin, and I can get a perfect color match with this foundation. I've used it for over fifteen years.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I use Perricone, No Foundation and love it. I only use a tiny bit, the bottle lasts a couple months.

Expensive foundation is only worth it to me if

1) I have tried many, many others to no avail first.

2) feels like second skin. If I can feel a foundation, or it is too heavy..I will not wear it. If I go out in the sun with a mirror and can see a film like powder, it's gone!.

3) never leaves a break out

4) Most important...if it works, it is worth it.

I could paint the entire State of California with foundation I have bought and couldn't use.