Respected Contributor

Help! Scrubbed my chin to get off flakes and now...

It feels like leather and is all red - right before Christmas. What can I do? Thank you!
Respected Contributor

Re: Help! Scrubbed my chin to get off flakes and now...

Hydrocortisone cream.

Super Contributor

and argan oil

Trusted Contributor

I would put vaseline on it to promote healing.

Respected Contributor

Thanks will start with Vaseline and try all the rest of that doesnt work.
Super Contributor

Vaseline is a petroleum based product, how is that going to promote healing? I'd try some aloe vera.

Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2014 kathoderay said:

Vaseline is a petroleum based product, how is that going to promote healing? I'd try some aloe vera.

"One of Vaseline's original uses was healing cuts and scrapes on the skin. The occlusive properties of Vaseline seal the skin breakage. This prevents bacteria or impurities from entering the wound, allowing the body's natural healing properties to work without interruption." (livestrong.com)

It's also excellent for softening and moisturizing the skin.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 12/22/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 12/22/2014 kathoderay said:

"One of Vaseline's original uses was healing cuts and scrapes on the skin. The occlusive properties of Vaseline seal the skin breakage. This prevents bacteria or impurities from entering the wound, allowing the body's natural healing properties to work without interruption." (livestrong.com)

It's also excellent for softening and moisturizing the skin.

From Wikipedia: In 1859, Chesebrough went to the oil fields in Titusville, Pennsylvania, and learned of a residue called "rod wax" that had to be periodically removed from oil rig pumps. The oil workers had been using the substance to heal cuts and burns. Chesebrough took samples of the rod wax back to Brooklyn, extracted the usable petroleum jelly, and began manufacturing the medicinal product he called Vaseline.

Wouldn't a natural substance like aloe vera or coconut oil if you want greasy, be less toxic?

Trusted Contributor

I have used Vaseline for years, on the advice of my family doctor and my dermatologist, and it does promote healing. That's a simple fact, not my personal opinion. The way it does this is by sealing off the wound and preventing infection.

If you don't want to use it, fine. But don't be so foolish as to think natural always equals better. Don't get me wrong, "natural" is often better, but not always. I also use pure aloe vera gel and coconut oil in my home. If you prefer to use those, go for it.

Vaseline is not toxic. Bacteria cannot grow in Vaseline. Both mold and bacteria can grow in coconut oil; I would use it for moisturizing skin, but never on a raw or open wound area. While aloe vera has some antibacterial properties and is great for things like mild burns, it can actually slow down the healing process in open wounds because of its moisturizing effects. I don't know how raw the OP's chin is; aloe vera would probably be fine if she's afraid of Vaseline. But trust me, the Vaseline won't hurt you. It's your friend. Cool

Super Contributor

Petroleum jelly is occlusive and helps to keep bacteria out. Petroleum jelly is occlusive and also traps bacteria in.