Regular Contributor
Hi All, I'm thinking about removing my acrylics (have had them for years) and just going with gel polish over my natural nails. I like my nails short and neat anyway and I like how color looks on natural short nails. I'm kind of over acrylics. Has anyone done this recently that could give me some feedback? will the gel look natural and smooth on my own nail vs. the acrylic nail? I love the way the gel wears. I'm thinking of investing the 75.00 or so for my own kit and doing it every 3 weeks. right now I go to the salon every 2 weeks and it's quite costly. I'm also looking to save a few dollars too Smiley Happy Any input or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Valued Contributor

Never had acrylics. However, both my thumb nails are very ridged. The gel polishes are self-leveling and give me a smooth finish. At the salon, CND Shellac, cured under UV, is my favorite system. At home, I like Nailene's Sensationail product. It's like Mally's LED system but less expensive. The basics are at Walmart and drug stores. Lots of color choices on Amazon and eBay. Personal note: I find removal easier with the UV cures.

Respected Contributor
I am starting week three of no acrylic nails. My nails are paper thin and split both across the nail tip and UP the nail , causing bleeding and pain. Acrylics solved that problem but I too just got tired of them. So, my manicurist took them off two weeks ago. I kept them short anyway so I didn't lose any nail length during the process. Of course within two days they were splitting so I would clip them , file them and hope for the best. I've also been using NailTek II and today she said they did seem a bit stronger. She wants to give them another two weeks or more. Then we will talk about a gel manicure or possible silk wraps. I'm sorry I can't tell you about the gel mani yet but wanted to let you know that so far I'm happy to be without the acrylics and hopeful that I can make this work. Good luck!
Super Contributor

I took my acrylic nails off a few months ago, and tried natural nails and polished them at home. After years of acrylic nails, my real nails never grew in strong and the polish chipped constantly. I tried salon gel manicures, but again, the nails were too weak and the polish pealed up.

The gel did look very pretty and smooth, with the bonus of being very shiny. It may work well on your nails. (I also like shorter, square, natural looking nails).

Honored Contributor

Duri Rejuvacote is guaranteed to repair acrylic damage.

Respected Contributor
Shelbelle: can I use both Duri and Nail Tek or is that overkill? Sorry for the hijack.
Regular Contributor
thanks for the replies so far ladies- very helpful!
Honored Contributor

I removed my acrylics several years ago. I used Nailtiques 2 and Barielle Liquid protein. My nails were not paper thin as my girl always hand filed. I do have one nail that has a chronic vertical split. I use either a nail tip or nail glue with acrylic powder on it.

If you plan to do your nails with gel polish, unless your nails grow very little, in 3 weeks you will have a great deal of visible growth at the base of your nails. If you go every 2 weeks now, I cannot see how you will be able to get an extra week out of gel polish.

Today's acrylic polishes are easy to use.

Honored Contributor

I had acrylic nails for a long time years ago and had them removed. What I remember is that it took years before my nails stopped splitting, finally got thicker and stopped curling under! The curling under was one of the worst side effects for me because even if they grew, they looked horrible so I had to keep them short. I put every kind of strengthener on them and eventually they've straightened out and have gotten thicker and I don't need to put anything on them, just buff them and they're finally doing fine.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I removed my acrylic nails almost 20 years ago. Yes, my nails were paper thin and my nail beds were sensitive. May I suggest that you let your nails "breathe" for several weeks before applying something else? Keep them trimmed and keep the cuticles oiled. I used "Nail Magic" for several years, but now that I'm retired I don't do anything special since I garden and keep my own house. That being said, my nails grow like weeds and are very strong. Genetics, I guess. Good luck.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein