Honored Contributor

I think today is the day, I take all excess makeup and pitch what I don't use.

I have a couple of L & L containers with stuff in it. Why hang on to stuff I don't use. As I've retired and gotten older, what I use/need now, doesn't call for any of what I've set aside. So, I guess today, I'll pitch some more.

Anyone else clearing some stuff out? I'm done with the quest to find "the best mascara". It's not that important to me anymore, since although I usually do makeup every day, the lashes seem to have changed. Skin too, but still good.

Makeup, has changed for me now.

Honored Contributor

Re: I think today is the day, I take all excess makeup and pitch what I don't use.

I know what you mean. I hate the thought of wasting money, but if you know you're not going to use it then what's the point of hanging on to it except to use the "someday" excuse in order to not feel guilty. Believe me, I'm in the same boat. I just went through my old eye shadows yesterday, but there's still plenty more stuff I can pitch.

Valued Contributor

Re: I think today is the day, I take all excess makeup and pitch what I don't use.

Just a reminder - unopened/never used skin care or cosmetics can always be donated. Just take it to your place of worship/local place of worship and they can distribute it to women who need it in shelters. Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

I love a good purge! You go, girl! Get rid of what you don't use. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

I'm in the same boat. I recently retired and don't need all the makeup I've amassed over the years. My priorities have totally shifted since I'm no longer working - makeup is still nice to wear but I'm not wearing it every day. I started to sift through my collection and I'm only hanging on to items that I absolutely love. Otherwise it's getting ditched.

Honored Contributor

I do not buy particularly expensive makeup - mostly L'Oreal from drug store - but I do take a sharpie marker and date it when I buy it and toss it in 6 months. I never have unused MU because I only buy when I need something.

Respected Contributor

Great minds think alike! I did that very thing one day last week. There were lipsticks I hadn't even used that I'm passing on to my DD. I don't do a full face daily any more now that I've retired unless I'm going out and that, too, is so liberating.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Super Contributor

Now that I'm semi-retired and work mostly from home, I go for days without makeup and I've come to realize that it's one of the best things I could do for my face! I now use a minimum of makeup and know the products that suit me best. As I get older, less is definitely more! Everything else has been tossed.

Esteemed Contributor

I love to purge closets and drawers....so go for it...you will love the results of a more organized area w/ lots more room. Easier to keep everything tidy and clean when there is less to move for cleaning.

My skin and my routine has changed too as I've gotten a older. I'm also have very sensitive skin and eyes...so when I try new things and they don't work...I keep a small bag to put in my oops makeup. Then I give the oops stuff to my nieces to see if they want.

I don't send off mascara unless it's unopened and fairly new. I did make the mistake of buying the Tarte 3 pk mascara...that is horrible...and sent off two unopened packs. I am going to stick to the inexpensive Big Lash mascara.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Super Contributor

I really need to do this myself! I have 2 traincases filled up with makeup. 1 traincase is filled with stuff I use and the other has stuff I haven't used in a loooong time. I need to stop holding on to stuff I know I won't be using anymore.