Respected Contributor

Tommie Copper Compression Items - Anyone with experience? Anyone with fibro?

Let me start by saying that I know this isn't the health forum, but I've posted this there and haven't had any responses, so I'm trying a larger pool of very knowledgeable people.

I'm exploring getting some compression tanks and leggings for my fibro. I've been to the Tommie Copper site and found a nice range of sizes, especially for those of us who are full figured. I've also ready reviews, but didn't get answers to my questions. I'm looking for anyone that has used these products, people in the plus size range, and people that have used compression clothing for fibro. I already wear compression socks and have full length, firm and extra firm medical compression thigh highs and find those very hot and very restrictive/bunchy. Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

Thanks for your help!

Respected Contributor

Re: Tommie Copper Compression Items - Anyone with experience? Anyone with fibro?

I guess no one has tried Tommie Copper Products for anything let alone fibro. Mine should be here next week, so I will share then about the fit and comfort level and wear them to work and around the house for about a week and share my results.

Super Contributor

Re: Tommie Copper Compression Items - Anyone with experience? Anyone with fibro?

I have had two of the knee Tommy Coppers for quite a while. They are no cure, but I do think they help with pain. I don't have any experience with compression stockings, but I'm not sure they would be much different, unless the copper really does do something magical.

The size I have (don't remember what size) is not extremely tight in the knee area, but the elastic band at the top can be somewhat irritating, so I turn it down toward the front. I sleep with them on quite often and wear them all day if I am feeling serious knee pain. I like them and I would order them again. I don't have any experience with fibro, however.

Respected Contributor

I have a similar bamboo and copper knee sleeve. Sleeves have a tendency to roll down and use a glue called It Stays for this purpose. It washes clean off your skin and brace when you wash the brace. I get mine on Amazon. It lasts a few months with daily application for one knee. I use it all the way around, but you could put it on four places and it works the same. It comes in a few different shaped bottles, but is all the same product for around $7-$8. I plan to get another knee brace from them and a few more tanks and possibly shorts over the next several pay periods. They aren't cheap by any means, but I did find a coupon for the Tommie Copper site, so i ordered from the company directly, signed up for the newsletter and got a 15% off coupon. That saved $20 plus free 2 day shipping right now for the holidays. I hope the newsletters have coupons as well. They also have a live chat feature, so getting help is instant without being on hold.

I was doing well with my fibro until the beginning of December when a combo of stress and wonky weather began. The large difference in day and nights temps here can be 40 degrees this time of year and it just aggravates my fibro more than anything. I also started taking Ziflamend, an herbal supplement for fibro/athritis (both of which I have at 34). I also have knee caps that slip out of their groove that they ride in, so they dislocate multiple times a day. My left knee is worse than my right, so I have a special brace for that as well, and it makes the arthritis worse too! I have 50% cartilage wear on my knee caps thanks to my farming and active life!

Honored Contributor

I have aching in my hands from arthritis and just using my hands a lot... they help me!! I wear them to bed and when usually I wake up and can't get my hands to go into a fist because they are too stiff... the Tommy Coppers have helped that, my hands have gone from very achy and stiff to not so achy and far less stiff. Sometimes I wear them all day long. For this, they help me very much! The product is a light material and the compression is also very light, you don't know you're wearing them. I also have the knee brace/compression and it doesn't help my knees like the good old neophrene so I'm suspecting that what is wrong with my knees the copper doesn't help as much as the heat from the neophrene. I got one for DH for his knee and he said it didn't help him.

I am SOLD on the gloves (without fingers) and wear them every night now, they really do help me and stop the aching and cut the stiffness. I'd say try one item and see.... good luck!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

My DH has fibro (I know, unusual for a man) and a bad back. I ordered him a pair of Tommie Copper compression shorts for Christmas. I am anxious to see how they work for him. Any amount of relief would be wonderful.

Respected Contributor

I purchased the gloves because I knit and crochet and then there is all the typing at work. I have carpel tunnel in my wrist from a break in 6th grade. I already use some compression gloves just for that. I have three pair, two in my bag and one at work. My brace for my knee cap dislocating is a neoprene material and find the sweat it causes aggravates my eczema, so I wear the sleeve under the brace to wick some moisture away from it. I know there are knitted sleeves just for warmth and lining under various braces to keep them from rubbing. You may also need more support than what a sleeve offers. I use a sleeve on my "good" knee to help with the pain there and so far it does help. One day I'll have surgery for both problems on both knees. I pray to loose weight before that happens, but have so much inflammation that has to go first. I'm working on a diet to decrease that. I was loosing weight when I flared and gained 100 pounds in 6 months or so and have maintained that. I hold lots of water and inflammation due to the fibro. I was in pain in my teens and gained weight then after loosing quite a lot, 50 pounds, but have struggled with it forever. The fibro went into remission when I first started teaching in my twenties, but it flared up again when I was 28, so I've got 6 years of extra pounds on me. I'm working on drinking more water and exercising on my recumbent bike, but the pain discourages that and is hard to find the motivation to get out from under the heating blanket and heating pads I use to ease the pain. I bought one of those exercise sweat suits and use it to create more sweat and burn more calories, but the extra heat helps with the pain as I exercise and recover. I'm hoping these braces will also help with the pain and increase my desire to exercise by having less pain.

Thanks for all of your input here. I've got more here than in the health forum.

Super Contributor

I'm glad to know the copper compression gloves have helped. I'm not sure about replacing regular compression hose with the Tommie Copper hose. I couldn't see where they listed the level of compression or even if they were graduated compression. I also have to wear firm compression hose for lymphedema. Without them my lower legs swell to twice their normal size within a day. I tried the silver infused compression hose - they were definitely cooler but were wearing out within a month. Not good for $80/pr. The company replaced them for the regular ones I have been wearing for years.

Respected Contributor

The Tommie Copper hose would not be firm or extra firm support. They are to thin for that. I have a set of each strength that go right up to my bum, thigh highs that is. They are very firm and help, but are hot and restrict my movement/pinch at the backs of the knees where I have my knee brace. I bought their leggings to try for support that is more flexible. I have tried the firm/extra firm support hose and have issues with them fitting over my thighs and not pinching my waist. I have very large thighs, 29" around at 5" above the knee, so I would need a 4X in their knee braces. I am a 2X/18/20 in all clothing, but for braces and things, I take a much larger size to accommodate my full figured thighs. I hope these leggings fit since they have very good sizing charts. I went with the leggings over the shorts because of winter and my entire legs hurting. I also just ordered more turmeric to take with my Ziflamend. I hope these fit as the supplements really do help. The extra support would be wonderful for my days of waking 4-6 miles on concrete floors at work. We have a very large facility, so I do as much walking as I do sitting, which can be just as bad since my joints don't want to move well after sitting for a while. I drive 50 minutes or so to work and have to get things moving again once I get out of the car! I also take a gummy joint supplement since the pills like Osteobioflex are so large and gummies digest better and absorb better.