Respected Contributor

DIY Haircuts due to No Trust-

I am devastated and depressed. My stylist who has cut my hair for 2 yrs just massacred my hair, cutting off 3 inches. I did NOT ask for this and have never asked her to cut it this short (she claims she thought this is what I wanted)- I trust no one anymore.

Does anyone cut their own hair? If so, please send your advice, tips and tricks!

Thanks- Hairless in CT.

Respected Contributor

Re: DIY Haircuts due to No Trust-

My sister cut my hair for years. Not because of trust issues, but because she did a fine job. Just straight across the bottom. I now have a more complicated cut, so go to a stylist.

Sorry for your experience, but don't make any changes like this when you are so upset.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Just wondering how she cut off so much without your knowledge. I try to pay attention.

Respected Contributor

On 12/17/2014 ValuSkr said:

Just wondering how she cut off so much without your knowledge. I try to pay attention.

Thx for the response. It was chopped at the back and back/sides (behind ears), I couldn't see.

But I trusted her (she had been cutting it for 2 yrs) I wasn't watching like a hawk.

I showed her a photo (it was not of the back), and it was not short- I don't know how this happened. So stupid and avoidable.

Honored Contributor

My DH had the same problem. When he got his hair cut he tried telling the lady not to cut it wet & so on but she did not listen. He was ticked to say the least with the results. He has cut his hair himself for about 30 yrs. He uses a flowbee & his beard/mustache trimmer. Yes the gadget you hook up to a vacuum cleaner. He also trims the ends of my hair when I need it .

Respected Contributor

I would NEVER try to cut my own hair.

It's weird you were happy with her for a couple years and then this.

Your hair will grow again, so it's not fatal.

How about another stylist or a different salon?

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

I have had a cut and a color that was just so AWFUL by a stylist someone recommended.

Your hair will grow back. I would not attempt to cut my own hair,etc. Their are plenty of good hairstylists out there. Don't give up.

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry you had this experience. It happened to me years ago and it wasn't pleasant. After that, I learned to be very emphatic about my instructions - like, "only one inch. That's it. No more. Seriously. Are we good on that?" The last time I went, my regular girl was out for over a month, so I had to use someone else. I was explaining what I wanted and she mentioned layers. I said "NOOOOOOOO. I do NOT want layers." She said "well with curly hair, it helps with the bounce." I said "that may work for other people, but I do NOT want ANY layers in back. I just prefer it that way, so please, no layers."

Seems some hair stylists want to try and do what they want anyway.

Honored Contributor

I'm a bit surprised that there was no consultation before the stylist began cutting. If taking 3" off is a lot for you, your shock is understandable because it's different from what you're used to. It's probably cute though to anyone else who sees you. I wouldn't mess with it. In a couple of days you'll get used to it and it won't looks so bad.

Super Contributor

I went to the same salon for ages and was very happy with the guy who cut it. Then I went back and a woman cut it (I don't specify a stylist, I'm not usually fussy). She did a horrible job. It's the first time in my life I wasn't happy with a haircut. She won't be doing it again. But I'm still going to stick with the professionals, I wouldn't know the first thing about doing it myself.