Respected Contributor

What Does Illuminating Blush Mean To You

I was reading the description on the new Doris Dalton pink set and it sounded good except when I read the blush is illuminating to me it means shimmer. Has anyone tried any of her blushes and is it shimmer?

Super Contributor

Re: What Does Illuminating Blush Mean To You

I have not try Doris Dalton's blush, but "illuminating" normally means that it makes you "glow" in the areas where you apply it. It is kind of like having a built in highlighter in the blush. It does not contain any sparkly glitter or anything. I think it gives you a fresh look, but I'm sure there are women who do not care for it.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

To me it means it has something in it to make it sparkly - and IMO that is not a look for a mature woman. By mature I mean anyone past college age. I think - just my opinion - that shiny, glittery or luminous makeup is for teens. Once a person is out in the working world - it needs to go away. However, my friends who work as department heads at various hospitals around the country tell me it is extremely difficult to make women understand what does and does not constitute a professional look.It is a constant battle for managers.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't have glitter or isn't sparkly. It makes your skin glow and is very sheer.

Trusted Contributor

It means "not matte". It isn't sparkly at all. I agree with Madisson, it gives you a bit of a glow, which is not that same thing as shiny or glittery.

Super Contributor

Makeup that "glows" is not sparkly, glittery, or unprofessional. It makes you look "lit" from within. Different size mica particles are used to achieve different levels of shimmer. In makeup that gives a "glowing" look, the size of the particles are nanoparticles. They are much larger in sparkly makeup.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Illuminating is a sort of sheer glow - it's beautiful. It is most definitely not anything "sparkly", "glittery" or anything a performer in the Ice Capades would wear.

Respected Contributor

To me it means "" soft glow"".

Respected Contributor

For myself I have found those types of blushes to have shimmer.....something I do not like except for in the evening.

In addition the more ""glow"" the more mica in the ingredient deck. Mica makes me break out if it is in large enough quantities.

Frequent Contributor

cuddlesmama - I think it's a good question as many products call themselves illuminating they end up giving a wide range of results, many times depending on their consistency and the user's skin type.

I agree with the posters who stated the result should be glowing, not sparkling. So at this time in my life (just turned 50 & my skin is getting a bit drier) what works best is a liquid serum illuminator mixed with moisturizer or liquid foundation.

I've had some luck with tarte Smooth Operator Illuminating Serum, but I'm not sure that's still on the market. I am looking forward to the BECCA line getting an hour presentation in January; I do want to try their Shimmering Skin Perfector (A256884). I've read a lot of good things about it.