Regular Contributor

What is the shelf life of a mascara?

I just found a Lashtastic box that I purchased 2 years ago and there was one It Cosmetics mascara in it. It's never been opened but when I opened it this morning the ball tip was not on it. Does anyone know if this is still safe to use? Thanks
Respected Contributor

Re: What is the shelf life of a mascara?

Generally, if used, mascara has a shelf life of 3 months of safe use. After that you need to be concerned about bacteria. Unopened, it's probably good for more than a year.... if it's dried, gummy, or smells.... throw it out. If it looks perfect, you could take a chance and use it. The problem is that the preservatives that retard bacteria growth don't last for all that long and the risk is that you could get an eye infection or irritation. Depends upon how sensitive your eyes are and how much risk you want to take.

Honored Contributor

Generally speaking, I think most things are good for 2 yrs. if they haven't been opened. I think you could still try this one, even though the ball tip is missing. You'll know immediately if it's OK or not, if it's dry or if you get itchy. If either happens, I'd pitch it immediately. In any case, once a mascara is opened, three months max. and out it goes whether it's used up or not.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I would not chance it. We are suppose to toss the mascara we use daily after 3 mos. and not because it's dried out but simply because of bacteria concerns or so they say. Years ago you never heard about tossing after 3 mos. but tossing when it dries out.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

3-6 months, tops. I get a new mascara to play it safe though, every three months. If it hasn't been opened, I would say one year.

Honored Contributor

I use Mabelline great lash and toss after 3 months. And, you know, never share it with others. My uncle is a retired microbiologist and used to scare my sister and I with horror stories about sharing makeup. I'm scarred for life;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

On 12/16/2014 KatCat1 said:

Personally, I would not chance it. We are suppose to toss the mascara we use daily after 3 mos. and not because it's dried out but simply because of bacteria concerns or so they say. Years ago you never heard about tossing after 3 mos. but tossing when it dries out.

Yes, the mfg. say 3 mos to CTA!

Nordstrom has "Mascara Madness" sale every year. Buy 2 get one free. The third one always is still fresh a year later. They will back this up. If you buy good mascara, a year or so out is not an issue.

Respected Contributor

I would not use a 2 year old mascara.

I have one mascara at the time and purchase every couple of months to have one that is fresh.

Respected Contributor

Unopened would be good for 2 years. As long as it doesn't smell or look funky.

As far as the 3 month rule, I don't believe that. It's just their way of getting you to purchase more. I go 6 months and have never had a problem.

Respected Contributor

I also dispose of mascara after using for 3 months. Of course, something that is unopened should still be good for a while.