Respected Contributor

Another what would you do (OT)

Every year we go to my step son's house for Christmas Eve. Every year - for many years - I make something and take it - appetizers, side dishes, dessert, etc. or I'll buy a dessert from a wonderful local bakery and take that. NO ONE ever eats what I take. Okay that's an exaggeration - I and my husband and step son and sometimes my grandson will eat what I take. But there are many many people there from my DIL's family and they never touch my stuff. Should I continue to take food that no one else apparently likes? We have taken wine and of course they drank that. It's such a waste of my time and money.

Super Contributor

Re: Another what would you do (OT)

Oh how disappointing for you. I would never take any food I cooked or bought again to their house! Since they like the wine, surely that's enough? Someone who is kind enough to bring food deserves much more appreciation. Just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

Thanks - my thoughts exactly. Actually I was thinking of not even taking wine but I guess that would be too rude.

Respected Contributor

Why not bring the wine then? This happened to me a few years ago. I got a frozen pie and baked it and brought it. There was nothing wrong with it, but I think the fact that I didn't put whipped cream on it made the difference. I'm not comparing you to me, as I am a dreadful cook. If you bring the wine, the problem is solved.

Respected Contributor

I would take wine every year. By next year all they will remember is that you always bring wine.

Super Contributor

I would stick to taking the wine or something similar. Sorry this happened to you.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone! I will take wine! (And I'm a great cook lol.) DIL's family has a lot of picky eaters - can't eat nuts, won't eat onions for instance. So wine is a good solution.

Respected Contributor

On 12/14/2014 Frannie said:

Thanks everyone! I will take wine! (And I'm a great cook lol.) DIL's family has a lot of picky eaters - can't eat nuts, won't eat onions for instance. So wine is a good solution.

Are they of Irish descent, Frannie? They are notoriously unable/unwilling to eat all manner of delicious foods because they only eat a meat, potatoes, and a vegetable seasoned with butter, salt, and pepper. I grew up having to eat this, and I got really sick of it. I loved the Italian food my friends had at home, but our sauce couldn't have spices because my father, who grew up in an Irish household, could not eat anything but what I've listed plus Irish soda bread.

Honored Contributor

I'd bring a bottle of wine and be done with it.

Honored Contributor

On 12/14/2014 Ms X said:
On 12/14/2014 Frannie said:

Are they of Irish descent, Frannie? They are notoriously unable/unwilling to eat all manner of delicious foods because they only eat a meat, potatoes, and a vegetable seasoned with butter, salt, and pepper. I grew up having to eat this, and I got really sick of it. I loved the Italian food my friends had at home, but our sauce couldn't have spices because my father, who grew up in an Irish household, could not eat anything but what I've listed plus Irish soda bread.

You gotta be kidding.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥