Respected Contributor

Anyone own a beauty shop type chair hair dryer?

Am I nuts for wanting one? I have the room. I think it is so warm and cozy to sit under while drying my hair and reading.

My hair takes forever to dry even with a good blow dryer. My arm gets tired and I hate doing it.

Sally's has them.

My mom had one that she bought from a beauty shop that went out of business years and years ago. I used it all my years growing up. She sold it and now I wish I would have bought it from her! It was really old, but worked perfectly.

Anyone else wish they had one? Or do you have one?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone own a beauty shop type chair hair dryer?

I don't have one and never thought about wanting one at home. You can get a domed dryer that can sit on a tabletop so you don't need to leave it out all the time, like a beauty shop style. It isn't as powerful though.

Respected Contributor

I sometimes wish I had one. :-) I have wavy hair, and don't always blow dry and straighten it, but I also don't always have the time to let my hair air-dry. And using a diffuser with my blow dryer doesn't really work for me. When I'm at the salon, I usually ask my stylist if I can just sit under the dryer instead of having her blow dry my hair. If the setting is on low, it dries my wavy hair perfectly, and without frizz. I think a salon-grade "hooded" hair dryer would probably be pretty pricey, though.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

Ok, if anyone is interested. I just bought this. I think this is the next best thing and not near as expensive as the chair type. $150 and Prime two day (free) shipping. It is BabyBliss brand.

Honored Contributor

mima: Hope your hairdryer works out! I Googled a bunch of images of the vintage hair dryers....made me giggle!!

Respected Contributor

On 12/12/2014 sidsmom said:

mima: Hope your hairdryer works out! I Googled a bunch of images of the vintage hair dryers....made me giggle!!

LOL!

Super Contributor

We had the old bonnet kind when I was a kid. I used to put the hose under my covers when it was cold and turn on the dryer and I was warm and toasty.
Honored Contributor

On 12/12/2014 mima said:

Ok, if anyone is interested. I just bought this. I think this is the next best thing and not near as expensive as the chair type. $150 and Prime two day (free) shipping. It is BabyBliss brand.

Thanks, mima; put it on my wish list.

Honored Contributor

On 12/12/2014 i like celery said:

I sometimes wish I had one. :-) I have wavy hair, and don't always blow dry and straighten it, but I also don't always have the time to let my hair air-dry. And using a diffuser with my blow dryer doesn't really work for me. When I'm at the salon, I usually ask my stylist if I can just sit under the dryer instead of having her blow dry my hair. If the setting is on low, it dries my wavy hair perfectly, and without frizz. I think a salon-grade "hooded" hair dryer would probably be pretty pricey, though.

Me. too and ITA, Cel. Kiss

Only my hair is baby-fine and I always air-dry it. Don't even own a blow dryer.

Valued Contributor

Have you considered a table top hair dryer? My Mom used one for years. It's easy to store when you're not using it too, and it's much less expensive than the stand type dryers.

Dryer