Honored Contributor

Adult breakouts --- I could use your recommendations!

As most of you know who see my posts, I am a mature lady (62), with very sensitive skin. I am currently experiencing some sort of breakout episode on my chin. It started out with one small spot which was very sore. You know those kind you get that feel like some-one socked you in the chin? Well, I do occasionally get one of those and I use Adult Clearasil on it, and after a few days it clears up. It does dry out the skin though.

However, a day later, and I am now getting several more on the chin and they are painful as well. I am wondering what could be causing this? Anyone every experience this as an adult person?

Generally speaking I really have not had much trouble with breakouts in my life other than the occasional zit. Usually, when I have gotten them though it's been on my chin.

Does anyone use or know of a product that can be applied to help heal these things up? If they get worse, I will, of course, contact a dermatologist.

Thanks so much!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Adult breakouts --- I could use your recommendations!

Are you sure you aren't starting to get shingles?

Honored Contributor

That does not start with this kind of thing, does it? I have had this kind of spot or bump many times on my chin before. Usually, I just get one and it does take quite awhile to disappear. I have never really had several at one time before. I thought maybe because I use this super heavy body cream which my doctor recommended I use, that maybe I am touching my chin too much without realizing it and blocking the pores or something.

I really don't know. I am at a loss. If it gets worse or doesn't seem to be disappearing, I will have to make an appointment.

I just wondered if anyone experience similar things and what they did for it.

Thanks so much.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

The "painful" could be a clue, and if they are following a track and are fluid filled rather than like "zits."

Otherwise, you may be allergic to something you are using, like your cream. If you touch your face, you will break out.

I break out on my chin from those kinds of serums with silicone in them. I get a hard bump. The only solution is not to use the irritating cream.

Honored Contributor

If I were you I'd have my PCP take a look as one said it may be shingles.

If you find it's truly acne or a mild form thereof, ProActiv all the way is what I'd use. I'm your age and occasionally I get out the ProActiv facial wash - this NEVER fails me.

Esteemed Contributor

Angel,

I have very sensitive skin. Highly recommend the Isomers line as everything is PH balanced and all products are for sensitive skin. Any of the Isomers cleansers would be a good place to start just to get the balance in order and bring back your natural skin fuctions and skin barrier.

Respected Contributor

I am 64 & had breakouts all my life due to oily skin...a dab of retin a is the only thing that has ever worked and worked quickly.

Honored Contributor

Assuming you're only dealing with typical zits and not anything more serious, I'd recommend adding a few drops of Propolis Extract to your cleanser. If you use a toner, you can add a few drops to that too. If I have a zit, Neutrogena's On-the-Spot treatment usually works for me. It's Benzoyl Peroxide, but only a 2.5% strength so it works without the irritation of the higher strengths. If I get one of those big bumps that doesn't really have a head on it, I'll use a glob of mint julep mask at bedtime and leave it on overnight and it's much better in the morning.

Super Contributor

Best thing for ME for zits like you describe has been Buzz On Acne, which I discovered two years ago on this board. If I start to get those pimples, I spray BOA on and gently pat into the skin. It works immediately. No excess drying and no sensitivity...for me. I am 48...had oily acneic skin most of my life, but no pimples now. I make sure to spray it on my whole face and allow to dry before I aply my moisturizer and cosmetics on the days that I wear makeup as well.

Respected Contributor

Hello, AngelPuppy1. Smile

Perhaps try washing your face with a gentle face cleanser. Another thing, be very, very gentle when washing your face and even more gentle when washing an area that has a breakout. Scrubbing too hard can cause breakouts.

And after you cleanse your face, then you have to put the moisture back. Otherwise, your skin feels clean, but it gets too dry, over produces oil and then causes more breakouts. So after you cleanse your face, try to find a gentle face lotion to put the moisture back in.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder