Respected Contributor

All that build up on brushes and strands of hair make a big difference in a brush.

Here's what I do (any type of brush)

I used another brush and start by the handle side and pull the brush through the other brush. Sometimes a comb works too but if it's a cheap comb, you'll probably break all the teeth off before it ever does what it's supposed to do. I continue that process all the way around the brush (round brush) and you should have bunches of hair that comes out. Next, once all the hair, or close to it is out of the brush, I put it in a sink of warm to hot water and use any type of shampoo. I actually use the brush that was used to pull out all the hairs as a scrub brush and that works the best. If you can't get all the residue just using regular shampoo, vinegar works well to dissolve any build up.

I found this works on any type of bristles, plastic or wood but what I have learned, just soaking the brush actually causes more damage when there's any wood involved.

Regular Contributor

I use this from Sally Beauty ($2.25)

HairArt Brush Cleaner

The best way to clean build-up off brushes is to soak them overnight (except wood barrels) in Barbicide, the same disinfectant used in salons nationwide.

Don't make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.
Super Contributor

Nascardiva, thanks for posting the picture..I'm going to look for this next time I'm at Sally's!

Respected Contributor

As I was explaining doing it the "old fashioned way"...WoW...thanks Nascardiva, didn't know there was anything like this.

As they say "proper tools for the proper job", I will definitely buy one of these.

Contributor

After removing the hair I pop my brushes and combs in the dishwasher...they come out sparkling. Of course don't know if you should do this with wood brushes.....

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the tips! I didn't know about that little brush cleaning tool, either. I'll look for it next time I'm at Sally's.

Honored Contributor

So cool! Thanks!

Super Contributor

I have always soaked the brushes and combs in hot water with baking soda mixed in or some liquid soap. Let them soak. You can get all the hair out so easily! But WOW I am going to get that brush cleaner at Sallys! Good Info!

Esteemed Contributor

I remove the hair, then soak in hot water with baking soda for an hour & rinse.