Esteemed Contributor

Anyone grow out to white then go back to using color?

After we retired last year and moved to a new state, I wanted to be as good a steward of our new financial situation as possible, so decided to ditch salon color and even purchasing color at Sally Beauty. My hair has been white since my early 30s, so have been coloring it for ages. I'm now 67.

My hair has grown out. The stylist who trims my hair says it is a white to be envied as it is platinum white with pastel overtones. Further, she says that if her white hair was the color of mine, she would cease to color her hair. I don't see any of this "goodness."

Since moving and DD having had our first grandchild, I've been in many photos and cannot stand what I look like. I look 80! Or, worse, 85! I'm this close to going back to the bottle. Has this happened to anyone else? If you did go back to color, were you pleased with your decision? I really need some help here ladies. Thanks so much.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone grow out to white then go back to using color?

My sister did! She is in her late 50's, her hair was pure white, it was pretty, but she said the same thing it aged her. While visiting me in FL she went to a salon and now is blonde, she loves it and yes, she does look younger!

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/9/2014 carrob said:

My sister did! She is in her late 50's, her hair was pure white, it was pretty, but she said the same thing it aged her. While visiting me in FL she went to a salon and now is blonde, she loves it and yes, she does look younger!

carrob,

Thank you so much for recounting your sister's experience. It's going to help on my end for sure.

Occasional Contributor

I think about! I grew out my hair during a year of illness. It isn't easy to do- it takes time and looks bad while you are doing it. I am having trouble with the white going yellowish.

But I get tons of compliments -even from stylists who say no -don't ever color it. so ..I guess it will stay white!

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/9/2014 every cloud said:

I think about! I grew out my hair during a year of illness. It isn't easy to do- it takes time and looks bad while you are doing it. I am having trouble with the white going yellowish.

But I get tons of compliments -even from stylists who say no -don't ever color it. so ..I guess it will stay white!

Hi every cloud,

I'm happy for you that you're pleased with your white hair! Hope you can find a solution to the yellowing. Remember when years ago women would "blue" their hair? Oh my goodness I remember seeing older women with blue/white/grey hair. It was truly weird.

I continue to grumble about this. Before I retired last year, those who didn't know I had thoughts of retiring in the years preceding thought I was in my early 50s. I wasn't going to say otherwise. I've been blessed with good genes as far as my face goes.

Good luck to you!

Esteemed Contributor

This lady at church was all white for a good 5 or more years, everyone thought she was in her 60's but I knew she was in her late 40's as we graduated together. She recently went back to coloring her hair and she looks beautiful. (I may add, she had really let go of herself as her 15 yr. old daughter was brutally murdered). I'm glad to see her smiling again.

Honored Contributor

Do you wear make up?I find as I age and am greying makeup is a must or I look all washed out and of course years older.

Regular Contributor

Im sorry to hear how unhappy you are with your hair. I also have the real white hair and have had this for 12 or more years. I started the white strands in high school.So from 15 until 40 it was every color I so desired....To help with the yellow cast in your hair I use Shimmering Lights shampoo from Sally's.You also can find shampoo for gray or blonde at Walmart,Walgreens ect.Once you start to color again you will have to keep it up about every two weeks for the temple area which can be a pain and the cost of the color.I suggest going to the Going Gray Looking Great .com Any question you may have concerning your hair ,makeup,clothes and what colors to wear will be answered by other women who have gone through these same questions...I go their almost every month and learn something new all the time.Women of all ages....even those who have had cancer and their hair came in a different texture and color....I bought a wig of a color and style that i liked and when my mood changes to be a different color drag out the wig...So I have the best of both worlds my true color and can have fun with the wig.....Once you find the right colors to wear in clothes and Makeup it will make a big difference in how you feel about your hair.Hair syle also makes a huge difference. Hope this helps......I get many compliments on my hair and am so happy would not go back....Husband is using my shampoo for his gray also...he looks great......

Honored Contributor

What are pastel overtones?

Contributor

Years ago I went through a long process of letting my color grow out and finally got all "virgin" hair. It was great not having the ordeal of keeping up with the roots and a pleasure to hear my hair 'squeak' when I shampooed because without being color treated it was healthy and smooth. I got bored after a couple of years being a la naturale and got it colored again. It looked good but it was not long before I regretted it- roots, no more smooth squeaky clean shampooing, the need for more product to have a smooth soft feel. So, once again I started the long process of letting in go natural again. That has been about 7 years now. When I get bored with it, I get a drastic change in style, or all new colors of lip, cheek and eye color. I will never color again. If you google, "styles for white hair" on Google, images you will find many pictures of youthful-looking beautiful women with our color of natural hair to draw inspiration from. Of course, you do what is best for you to feel good about how you look but for me. I learned a lesson. I "rock" my snow top! LOL. Best wishes.