Frequent Contributor

Going on vacation. Mexico for New Years! Any advice? Recommendations?

Staying at Barcelo Maya Colonial and Tropical Beach. It's all inclusive. First time for me. What do I need to bring? Besides sunscreen? Do they allow floaties in the pool (yes, for me)? Anyone stayed there? TIA! Kim
Regular Contributor

Re: Going on vacation. Mexico for New Years! Any advice? Recommendations?

How exciting! I bet you could bring floaties for yourself. Bring Coppertone sport sunblock, the ocean water will not eat it off. It really will help with keeping you from burning. Also remember to reapply often!

You can bring a thermal cup and ask the barkeep to make your drink in that. Helps keep the drink cool, and less trips for refills Wink

Make sure to read up on tripadvisor and other online sites for reviews. These usually have great insight and info about the resort you are staying at.

Have a wonderful time!!

Honored Contributor

Your resort should provide everything you need.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Look at trip advisory (tripadvisor.com) and search for your hotel. There are lots of reviews and people who have been there will make suggestions as to what to bring with you. I saw one that said bring beach shoes because of rocks on the beach.

Esteemed Contributor

Why anyone would vacation in Mexico is beyond my understanding. With all the things going on in Mexico, 43 students were killed. The drug cartel is very vicious. I say bring a gun and hope for the best. You just never know what you are getting into. Good Luck and hope you make it back safely????

<h1 class="title">These graphics will show you why Mexicans are saying they've had enough</h1>

The 43 missing students have come to represent the more than 22,000 people who have disappeared since 2006.The disappearance of 43 Mexican students after they were abducted by corrupt police working with drug cartel gunmen shocked the world for the scale and severity of the crime. But the atrocity is only one part of a much larger tragedy of people going missing in Mexico.

Since 2006, when then President Felipe Calderon launched a military offensive against drug cartels, more than 22,000 people across the country have disappeared, creating a veritable humanitarian catastrophe. The grave problem has continued under President Enrique Peña Nieto, despite his attempt to shift focus from the drug war to economic reforms.

Valued Contributor

Omg people go missing everywhere, relax.

OP- Congrats on going on vacay! I'm so jealous! I'm always (over) prepared. Bringing my own shampoo (Wen), razor, skincare, hair dryer, hair straightener, ibuprofen, pepto bismal, extra charger for electronics, etc. I'd make sure to bring spf as well as aloe vera should you burn. Also a trash bag or bag for your wet/dirty clothes (try to air them out if possible before bagging). Try to pack an outfit or 2 in your carry on just in case your other luggage gets lost (doubt it'll happen but you never know). And of course, clothing options for dinner should a restaurant require a more "formal" wear.

Have fun!

Also I'll add- since you are staying at the Riveria Maya, I'd highly suggest a trip to the Mayan ruins. It looks like you're hotel will have info when you get there but you can always book online too. You can go ziplining too if you have the courage. Wink

Honored Contributor

My advice, don't spend every moment at your resort get out and see the area.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Ahhhh enjoy!!! We are Jamaica bound in January. I love to put my feet up,

enjoy the water, and eat and drink. THAT's a vacation!!

elated----seriously? That's like saying that travel to Tennessee is not safe because there was a shooting in LA. Relax. It's a BIG country.

Honored Contributor

One thing you do realize you are at least 90 minutes or more from the airport Smiley Sad

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

look at TripAdvisor. it gonna be good options