Esteemed Contributor
I went to a new hair stylist today, had been with the same lady for 20 yrs, but since we've moved I finally had to get someone new. Question is....,I have had Carmel highlights on my medium dark brown hair now for about q12 yrs. I had thought the girl would just touch up and refresh as they are grown out about 2". But she suggested that I would do best with an all over coloring instead as my ends were getting very light with highlighting for so many years and hair was looking too light . My hair is 10" below my shoulders. So I guess I expected more of a Carmel shade which I love and find dark hair around my face ages me and doesn't brighten my face. The color I have now is medium brown with just a hint of Carmel/red. Question is can i in a couple of months, next appt. put more color on or highlight over or pieces of hair over permanent color ? Never had all over color done so this is new to me. Any hair color experts out there would love your advice. I do know you.cant color over color often so I just don't know what the rule is on it. Going back in January .
Honored Contributor

Re: Question about hair color

Yes, you can recolor and/or lighten your hair when you have it done in January. In fact, the new color you had done today likely will wash out and you'll have your highlights again by doing nothing. Your highlighed hair has had the cuticle lifted many times and will not hold color well.

You might want to call your previous hairdresser and ask her what color and brand of hair color she used on you. My guess is that the new hairdresser was not aware of the exact formula you have been using and thought an all over color would be better than a big ombre mess.

Everytime you color, your hair's cuticle is lifted. It never lays down flat and smooth after a color or perm. After many treatments, your hair feels rough as opposed to smooth, so be sure to condition your hair to protect it.

Honored Contributor

I will share what I have done but I don't know if it will help you.

My hair has a base color (color of my natural hair because I'm turning silver, white and gray). She does this first, shampoo, dry. Then she uses 2 highlight colors.

Now she only does the roots then the highlights. There is no need to color your hair all over with the base color because it can cause more damage.

I'm not sure if this is the same situation you are having with your hair.

Super Contributor

you can recolor it and lighten it

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you Carmie you explained it so well and I,m happy to hear this. had no idea highlights would even eventually appear back. I know I won't be happy with this darker hair so good to know -and that also I can highlight in January. Also thanks to both Sister golden and Meeras appreciate your all taking time to post, these boards are so great and everyone I'd so knowledgeable. Thanks again!
Respected Contributor

is your hair very dark and flat? i wonder if the color grabbed too much. that can happen with coloring over highlights because the hair is very porous and like a sponge sops up the new color. the color will fade off with permanent color but a demi would have been a better choice for you though. if you just had your hair colored today, give it a week for your eye to adjust -really, its the same with haircuts. i never liked my new cut or color immediately, i noticed the change and it would bug me. wash several times with a sulfate shampoo, it will remove some of the deep pigment.

Trusted Contributor

I color my hair medium/dark brown with subtle blonde and caramel highlights. Every two or three times I go in, my hairdresser skips the highlights and just does the base color. Your new hairdresser is correct; if you highlight frequently your hair will get too light. When I get the all-over base color my hair is initially a little darker than I'd like, but some of the underlying highlights do show through, and after a couple of shampoos they show even more. I wear a short, layered cut, so my "old" hair is grown, cut, and gone in a relatively short cycle.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/4/2014 ashleigh dupray said:

is your hair very dark and flat? i wonder if the color grabbed too much. that can happen with coloring over highlights because the hair is very porous and like a sponge sops up the new color. the color will fade off with permanent color but a demi would have been a better choice for you though. if you just had your hair colored today, give it a week for your eye to adjust -really, its the same with haircuts. i never liked my new cut or color immediately, i noticed the change and it would bug me. wash several times with a sulfate shampoo, it will remove some of the deep pigment.

Ashleigh, I do think your right about that, my hair that isn't highlighted is a medium dark brown . Also I do feel a little better aboutthe color today. I can actually see the highlights underneath a bit.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/4/2014 GoodStuff said:

I color my hair medium/dark brown with subtle blonde and caramel highlights. Every two or three times I go in, my hairdresser skips the highlights and just does the base color. Your new hairdresser is correct; if you highlight frequently your hair will get too light. When I get the all-over base color my hair is initially a little darker than I'd like, but some of the underlying highlights do show through, and after a couple of shampoos they show even more. I wear a short, layered cut, so my "old" hair is grown, cut, and gone in a relatively short cycle.

So then you do both blonde end carmel highlights? that was the color name on the dye package my former hairdresser gave me to take to my new one. She would leave it on till the Carmel color was just right. I will have to talk to her about all this at my next appt in January. I do lie it better then I initially did yesterday. I guess just used to the contrast of highlights against the brown and now it is basically all one color.