Honored Contributor

O/T Where To Draw The Line For Tipping

So it's holiday time, let the tipping begin! I give the postman $50 and the UPS guy $25. Now I'm thinking I need to tip the sanitation guys. My neighbor says they pool their tips and I figure I"ll give them $30. I also give cookie trays to 4 of my doctor's offices. I usually give the bank a box of candy. What I want to know is where to draw the line on the holiday tipping and gift giving?
Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Where To Draw The Line For Tipping

I'd draw the line before I got to all the people you listed. You must live in the Northeast. We don't tip any of those people here. I don't think postal employees are even permitted to accept that much. UPS drivers make good money; they don't need tips. How in the world do you tip the garbage man; run down the street after him? They make an adequate salary also. I tip my hair dresser and the woman who has a dog poop removal service and visits here weekly. That's it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 12/3/2014 kachina624 said: I'd draw the line before I got to all the people you listed. You must live in the Northeast. We don't tip any of those people here. I don't think postal employees are even permitted to accept that much. UPS drivers make good money; they don't need tips. How in the world do you tip the garbage man; run down the street after him? They make an adequate salary also. I tip my hair dresser and the woman who has a dog poop removal service and visits here weekly. That's it.

Me too.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I might be in the minority here, but I don't see why I should tip the mailman for doing his job which, by the way, I believe he is well compensated for. I am very certain that he makes more money than I do. I go to work every day just like most people. I don't expect to be tipped at the end of the year. I also don't tip the cashier or the bagger at the grocery store; I don't tip the kid at Little Caesar's who hands me a hot and ready pizza once a month, or the person at Tim Horton's who occasionally hands me a cup of coffee and a bagel. What would be the difference? I do, however, tip very well the waitress at a restaurant who makes less than minimum wage and takes my order, brings my food, brings my drink, refills my drink, etc.

Honored Contributor

Your postman is not allowed to accept money but you can give them a gift.

We have a woman and also a good friend, so I get a small gift for her every year.

I give both women at my beauty shop a small gift. I have gone there for years and years.

I think that gift giving has gotten way out-of-hand. Really when you think about it, there is no stopping point.

I think that homemade cookies is a nice gift and thoughtful.

Honored Contributor

I don't tip any of the people you listed or have even considered it. If it's not a financial hardship and you enjoy doing it, why not.
Honored Contributor

I happen to know the guys that pick up the trash, they are regulars. I have super hearing so I always hear them and don't have to run down the block after them! I know the postman is technically not suppose to accept money but he does! Really most people will not turn down money if offered. I guess I like to show people my appreciation.
Respected Contributor

I tip two people: my hairdresser, who will come in or her day off if I need her to; the man who does my lawn and who also shovels snow in the winter. One year I was on vacation out of state and he removed dangerously listing tree limbs, trusting me to pay him when I returned a week later. These two people deserve my generous tip.

ETA: I forgot the UPS guy. He has been my regular delivery person for a long time and he always knocks to give me my packages.

Honored Contributor

We do tip our mailman mostly because he is always very pleasant to everyone and he has saved our bacon a few times when he caught a bill being delivered to our home that should be forwarded to Pa. We give him a $20 gas card as they are allowed to accept those.

I don't know how you would tip the trash men and I do not.

As a nurse I can tell you that home made food from sources we did not know well is tossed into the trash as soon as the person is out of sight. Food brought to tip nurses should be purchased and still in the original wrapper. Also - the doctors are very generous with buying goodies for the nurses at Christmas so they are fed well at that time of year.

I think the people the OP tips are very well compensated for doing their jobs and that is only necessary if they do something exceptional.

I tip my housekeeper $50 and my hair stylist $10. That is pretty much the extent of it.

I share baked goods with several of our friends and neighbors.

I think your money would be spent much better giving to the homeless or a food bank to feed people who actually NEED help. We buy 5 $10 Publix gift cards and give them to the lady who runs our church""s foodbank - she picks out 5 families to get them as she knows every one of our families well.

Honored Contributor

On 12/3/2014 jordan2 said: I happen to know the guys that pick up the trash, they are regulars. I have super hearing so I always hear them and don't have to run down the block after them! I know the postman is technically not suppose to accept money but he does! Really most people will not turn down money if offered. I guess I like to show people my appreciation.

I think that it is wonderful to show your appreciation but please don't give your postman or postwoman money or a gift or gift card for more than $20.00. This is a rule for the USPS.