Esteemed Contributor

Red Lipstick on Fair Complexions

A friend of mine whose complexion is extremely fair is looking for a red lipstick. Her complexion is that neutral clear white (undertone doesn't read pink or yellow). Her hair is almost black hair highlighted with dark auburn.

She wants rich opaque color, not gloss or sheer lipstick. I had suggested Lipstick Queen's Saint Red, but the Saints collection is too sheer for the look she wants. I thought that before I make any more suggestions to ask this board's fairest ladies to call out a few of their favorite red lipsticks. My friend's price point is anything from drugstore to up to around $30. THANKS!

Respected Contributor

Re: Red Lipstick on Fair Complexions

I bought a kit from Sephora from Makeup Forever that included a red lipliner and red lipstick that is gorgeous. The lipstick is Rouge Artist Intense #43, a perfect red, and I am very fair. It is creamy and opaque and lights up your face, very pretty. First time I've ever successfully worn a red lipstick.

I also have a sample of Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy lipstick in Envious, and that is also a great red. The formulation for this is one of the best I've ever used.

Esteemed Contributor

I have very fair skin with some yellow undertones. I like Bobbie Brown's lipstick because it is more of a satin finish. You can also layer on the color to achieve a deeper intensity. The other thing that I wanted to mention was the trick of coloring in the lip with a lip pencil and then following up with your lipstick. This really keeps the darker shades on the lips and curbs the color from traveling.

Trusted Contributor

MAC Viva Glam Rihanna1 is a blue-red with a frost finish.

MAC Russian Red is a blue-red with a satin-matte finish.

They are both $16 each.

Here are some more reds with pictures, prices, and reviews:

http://www.beautylish.com/a/vxvcs/best-red-lipstick

Honored Contributor

Check out Seduction by Laura Mercier in her crème collection $24. It's a blue red.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I am very fair with auburn hair. I have never found a red lipstick that works on me. They all look like I've been playing with someone else's make-up.

Respected Contributor

On 12/2/2014 faeriemoon said:

I am very fair with auburn hair. I have never found a red lipstick that works on me. They all look like I've been playing with someone else's make-up.

I am fair/medium complexion and I agree with you. I have tried many red lipsticks but gave up finding one a while ago that I liked. I prefer brown tones or light pink tones in lipsticks and lip glosses. They just work a lot better for me.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/2/2014 susan25 said:

I am fair/medium complexion and I agree with you. I have tried many red lipsticks but gave up finding one a while ago that I liked. I prefer brown tones or light pink tones in lipsticks and lip glosses. They just work a lot better for me.

This has been my friend's problem wearing red lipstick, but she's hellbent on wearing a "real" red lipstick to a big holiday party coming up.

Thanks to all for your suggestions! We went to a Bobbi Brown together (since that's one of my favorite makeup brands). She tried on a few, but Bobbi's tones just didn't work right with her coloring. That's what had made me think to ask here for suggestions. The Bobbi Brown lipstick did last though because her lips still had a tint of Vixen Red after we had wined and dined.

Respected Contributor

On 12/2/2014 susan25 said:

I agree with you both. I'm also very fair. I have tried reds, but I just don't like how they look on me. LOL, I feel that all you can see on my face is my mouth. I just don't care for it on very fair people. Just because red is "in", doesn't mean it suits everyone.

Honored Contributor

"I had suggested Lipstick Queen's Saint Red, but the Saints collection is too sheer for the look she wants."

Did you check for that color or one similar in the opaque and very pigmented Sinner line in that brand?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland