Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2014 -- December

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

What's your version of a ComPact Christmas? What will you do to keep it simple?

Trusted Contributor

We don't buy for the adults anymore, we just buy for the children. We all decided we buy what we need all year and that anything else is just clutter and will be thrown away soon after Christmas.

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 PAlady said:

We don't buy for the adults anymore, we just buy for the children. We all decided we buy what we need all year and that anything else is just clutter and will be thrown away soon after Christmas.

When Better-half and I stopped exchanging gifts for the holidays (birthdays, Valentine's, Christmas...) I really started enjoying them. I support a vibrant economy, but I just don't want to be anywhere near a shopping mall. I used to spend as much on imported wrapping paper, cards and decorations as I did on gifts. I just worked through Thanksgiving and I'll be working Christmas and New Year's. We kept Thanksgiving dinner very simple this year (celebrated it on Friday) and invested in a turkey from the local butcher. That hen was such a gift! I don't think I'll ever buy a Butterball again.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the monthly thread, just bee! Last year we decided to only buy for the kids in our family. This year I told people who insisit on buying for me I would like them to instead donate the money to our local children's hospital or St. Jude's. I have decided I don't want to be on the receiving end of any tangilbe gifts (as I, too, buy what I need throughout the year) and want the money to go where it can be put to better use. I also think of Sheldon's gift theory (aka: obligation) on Big Bang Theory and don't want to cause others the "gift stress" Christmas can bring Smiley Happy
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

Thanks for get us rolling into December, JustBee. I love your pictures. I am holding shopping to a minimum. I have 2 granddaughters to finish up and I will be done. I don't need a thing. I have picked up some coats for the giving tree from my church, so that really took care of my retail fix. Hoping to keep the focus on the meaning of the season. I have a difficult time during this season, as I lost my dad on Christmas eve several years ago. I want to focus on more personal interaction with friends. I am baking and making candy to take around to some elderly neighbors, and will enjoy visiting with them. I hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday season.

Respected Contributor

On 12/1/2014 PAlady said:

Same here. The holidays are so much more peaceful. Even the kids, I would like to eventually gift them with experiences but know they love gifts so I don't want to spoil that for them for now. I will raise it in a few years. I am so happy my family is past all the gift giving. Everyone gets what they want or need all year long.
Respected Contributor

So, the lessons from having too much stuff just dont end. Last night, I washed my face and reached for an oil to slap on. As I reached for the oil, I thought hmmm this smells pretty good. I put it all over my face. Then I quickly realized it was a hair oil. The bottles are both brown and I was not paying attention. While it didnt burn or anything and it probably would of been fine, I washed my face just in case and started over.

The last couple of days, I am making an attempt to use mu. I have a ton sitting around and that is even after I tossed at ton within the last two years. Anyway, I figure I dont really use foundation but have a couple of bottles. I decided to mix it with my moisturizer and turn it into a tinted moisturizer. So, I used one of them yesterday and it was fine. I used the other one this morning and applied it to my face but it had a chemical/alcohol type of smell to it. I couldnt remember if it was normal or not, but it sure didnt seem like it. So, a full bottle of Stila tossed and it wasnt really that old. The lessons from stockpiling just keep on coming.

I cant imagine as I start to use my mu more and more, what else I will find that needs tossing. Although, in a way, I am kinda thankful it happened now. It gives me more strength to hold strong as I go through Christmas sales. I do love mu, I just dont make the time to use it.

Ho hum, keep calm and carry on.