Not applicable

Is it just me?....... I wish we could have more Hostess of African American (Black Skin Tone) model more of the cosmetics that is being shown on QVC. I know they show some but they never seem to show Hostesses with really dark skin tone. Like one of the new Hostess Ade. I believe if they did then it would also help people make better choices in the color. I recently purchased IT Brow perfecter in Dark Brown and was told even by the customer service rep. that color is matched to hair and not skin tone. Silly me I should have known better. Well of course I tried it and it did not even show on my skin. This is why I have also refused to buy Bare mineral because I believe they do not have a color suited to Black Skin tone. We are not all light mocha {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} unfortunately some of us are really dark, but we like color too and we need Brow pencils too and no color like Taupe do not work. I even tried Mally Brow Pencils too none work so that means for people like us we have to go to Mac Cosmetics . But what even make it a little more frustrating s the fact that the customer service reps are not trained properly and they go giving wrong information.... they need to get it right it is costing us money....is there anyone else that has had a similar experience? or is it just me.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with your assessment about the range of colors offered in makeup. You might have more success with a couple of the brands sold on the Q, e.g. Bare Minerals and Bobbie Brown, that are also in the brick and mortar stores or their online sites. In these venues, you'll find a greater range of colors at the darker end of the spectrum. If you don't especially need brands sold at the Q then try Fashion Fair, Makeup Forever, NARS, MAC and even traditional brands such as Clinique, Estee Lauder, Lancome. Of course, there are some drugstore brands that work well, also.

Most of the models considered "Black" are on the lighter end of the spectrum. It would help immensely if darker hued models such as Monica and Ade were utilized. The label "deep" simply does not capture the range in skin colors associated with some Blacks. After a few purchases of "deep" palettes that didn't work, I stopped purchasing from the Q with the exception of Bobbie Brown. Her almond and walnut tones work well for the variations in my skin tone that occur from spring through winter. Good luck with finding other choices and with other sites.

Trusted Contributor

QVC only has the new Bare Minerals Serum foundation in 12 shades but it comes in 20 shades including darker ones. You can find it online at Sephora.com or just google it. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Iman has a line of cosmetics that is for women of color ONLY

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

Ade is a stunner but she is rarely on. Maybe ""they"" will read this and hire her more often.

Super Contributor

I totally agree with you and completely understand your frustration. There's definitely an unfair imbalance.

I'm not a woman of color, but I'm tall. I've felt out of the loop for as long as I can remember. The fashion industry caters to men of all different sizes and customization is readily available. The same isn't applied to woman, especially those like me who need pants with an inseam of 33-34". Petites, plus' and misses are geared towards woman of "average" heights, petites have options because their pants can be altered. The same doesn't apply to talls.

Beauty and fashion is slowly improving, but there still aren't too many options. I spent my teen years wearing men's Levi's from the Army/Navy store. Being thin, they were the only brand that fit me nicely because I could choose by waist and length measurements.

Sorry for the long winded rant, but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone in your frustrations. The mass market is irritatingly unfair and imo, a little slow in the upswing.

Super Contributor
I know that the Q does not carry men's clothing really but that is the same type situation that I faced for years regarding my DH. He was 6 ft 5 in and needed tall sizes clothing. Almost no local stores carried his sizes and the pickings were poor and limited which means ugly and outdated plus expensive. So I know how frustrating it is to not be able to shop like everyone else. Luckily the only thing that helped in his situation was that the Internet allowed us access to specialty shops that catered to his size requirements. My dear MIL wears a size 12 in ladies shoes and finding her size is tough too. Again the Internet has helped. So we join you in your frustrations too..........shopping is not always as easy and fun as it might be...