Super Contributor

O/T how would you take this?

Beauties, would like your take on this? SIL came to our house for first time yesterday. Her and baby bro. have been married over 2yrs., no kids (none planned) and just bought a house this fall after apartment life. We have been married a looong time, but just moved in our house this summer. She said, "it is so homey. Is all of this yours?" Our house is not quite ready for a Pottery Barn photo shoot, but is close to it and we think nice. It is clean, but we don't mind that it looks like kids live here (toy in playroom, arts/crafts area, etc.) We have a good relationship. I don't really care because we like our home. But, I have been wondering, do you think it was a compliment? ~smiles, SnowKita
Honored Contributor

Re: O/T how would you take this?

I don't even understand the comment/question. Whose would she think it was if it wasn't all yours?? I think it's a strange comment.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

On 11/28/2014 NickNack said:

I don't even understand the comment/question. Whose would she think it was if it wasn't all yours?? I think it's a strange comment.

Yeah, exactly my thought. Whose else would it be? Borrow from neighbors for the day? Odd.
Valued Contributor

That was a "strange" comment or at least not needed comment. I thought she meant was some of your items "rent to own" like Rent a Center.

I know some people when you go to their home, a lot of the electronic and big screen items are rent to own.

I think she meant it as a compliment, just not phrased correctly.

She should have said, wow, the place looks great!!

Honored Contributor

I'd pretend it was part of a bad novel and the author had no idea what the character was thinking.

Anything else, unless you're willing to ask your SIL, is just guessing.

Respected Contributor

She probably was impressed with how you have managed to achieve a comfortable feel to your new home in such a short time and it just came out wrong. I commend you for not blurting out "Well of course its ours, whose else would it be?"

Respected Contributor

You should of asked at the time what exactly does she mean.

Super Contributor

On 11/28/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 11/28/2014 NickNack said:

Yeah, exactly my thought. Whose else would it be? Borrow from neighbors for the day? Odd.
yeah, I am not sure what she thought either. I just kinda wanted to know if "homey" is a good thing?
Respected Contributor

I have no idea what to tell you except for this: It's Thanksgiving, it's your.brother, she's part of the family now. Instead of scrutinizing her comment and trying to figure out whether you should or shouldn't take offense, let it go, let it go, let it go. People say all kinds of things and THEY don't even know why. Perhaps she was a bit nervous. They've only been married a short while and you said this is the first time they've been to your new house. At any rate, life is short and to spend time thinking negatively about a family member is just not worth it. Give her the benefit of the doubt (she wasn't offending you) and move on. Be kind, Be gracious, and be confident enough in your own life and family that you can give kindness and love to all around you.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

By the way, do YOU think "homey" is a good thing? That's all that matters. Personally, I do! Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero