Regular Contributor

Foundation help for problem skin-- please

I'm in my 40's with fine lines and continual acne- I like coverage but not a cakey- un-natural . look. Recently I had to be in a professional picture and it was horrible. I had used a liquid foundation and then a light powder over it. After I looked in the mirror- I could see not only my lines accentuated but my peach fuzz and my acne scars- ugh so humiliating . I really don't know where to start- my ideas are: It cosmetics - I don't know which product? Laura mercier- don't know anything about this brand? I am a fairly light in loose be mineral makeup- which seems to be accentuating my problem. I am willing to pay more if I can find a great product but I also don't mind drugstore at all.
Regular Contributor

Re: Foundation help for problem skin-- please

Any help is so appreciated!
Super Contributor

Just my 2 cents, but I stopped wearing powder foundation as soon as I started getting fine lines (and I'm only in my 30s). To prevent foundation from settling in my lines, I typically wear a liquid and layer it over primer. SKINN's Orchid Gel is a good one, but I've used others, too.

I keep a number of foundations/BBs/CCs in my rotation based on the needs of my skin and the time of year. Since the air has been getting dryer, I'm most often using Jane Iredale's GlowTime Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream.

It offers great coverage without looking cakey because it takes only a very small amount for maximum effect. I also like this BB because it looks dewy and gives your skin a youthful glow.

It also offers a physical SPF of 25 and because it's a mineral based product, it might not exacerbate your acne. HTH!

Trusted Contributor

I'm in my late 50's - not too many wrinkles, continual acne. I stopped using BM loose foundation a while ago. Here are some things that work for me:

Bourjois 123 perfect CC cream - good coverage and color correcting, not expensive. It's a French brand available on asos.com or lifeandlooks.com. Lisa Eldridge gives it high marks - for a good demo watch this:

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/26180/fresh-faced-beauty-makeup-with-sophie-dahl/tag/26186/

IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness is great for covering blemishes and scars.

Tarte amazonian clay 12 hour concealer and amazonian clay powder foundation. This foundation looks much better than BM.

Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

Two products that haven't broken me out and are pretty much HG status are IT CC cream, and Smashbox Halo powder. Maybe try different combos, then take a selfie with your phone and see what photographs the best?

Honored Contributor

You may want to give BE Serum Foundation a try. its light and never looks cakey, and no harmful ingredients to further aggravate your breakouts. I have it and I really like it!!!!!

Regular Contributor

Thank you all. Question for IT users- what shade would you think would be close to fairly light Iin be? I would like to try it cc cream or the jane iredale? I have tried be liquid and didnt care for the ""feel"" thank you all!
Honored Contributor

Laura Mercier makes several great foundations. I recommend going to a department store like Nordstrom or a Sephora and getting samples of several of her foundations to take home and try. That will let you get a good feel, see if the foundation causes you to break out at all, and see if you're comfortable with the color and finish.

You might want to try the IT Cosmetics CC cream. A lot of people are very happy with it. I tried it and the coverage and finish were good, but I can't find a color match and, unfortunately, the physical sunscreen causes me a lot of skin irritation and I need to avoid it. If you have no issues with physical sunscreens, you should try it out.

Revlon ColorStay whipped foundation has a great finish and works well on oily and combination skin. Coverage is good and it did not give me any trouble with breakouts.

My current favorite foundation is Maybeline Dream Wonder Fluid foundation. It's a light liquid that feels like nothing and dries to a powder finish. It has sheer coverage, but I believe it's buildable. (I like sheer coverage, so I haven't built it up much.) I apply it with a Beauty Blender or Real Techniques sponge and it looks like my skin, but better. I like to mix mine with a half pump of Burberry primer and Nude Radiance, which gives the foundation a luminous finish without making it look greasy.

Respected Contributor

Lyn, lack of shade choices is the biggest IT CC dilemma for me as well. I am really between fair and light. Fair is the most neutral but is very fair, even for me. Light has a peachy undertone but won't look as ghostly if you aren't the proverbial "Nicole Kidman fair". I bought both shades and use either, mix them, or use light through the center of my face (where I am darker) and fair everywhere else. Medium is quite a bit darker than light (which is actually light-medium). It has an olive undertone. Too dark for me. HTH

Super Contributor

On 11/26/2014 lynbeechwood said: Thank you all. Question for IT users- what shade would you think would be close to fairly light Iin be? I would like to try it cc cream or the jane iredale? I have tried be liquid and didnt care for the "feel" thank you all!

I've never worn BE, so I'm afraid that I can't offer a good shade comparison with Jane Iredale's BB Cream. Just looking at the shade charts for both, I would guess the best match in the GlowTime would be BB3(?)