Honored Contributor

Peely, flaky skin under the eyes? What the????

I know there was just a recent post about dry eyes. A couple of days ago I was trying to apply makeup when I noticed that underneath my eyes, the skin appeared very flaky and peely. Hmmm.... I have never in all my 62 years experienced this. And, believe me, my skin is so crazy, I have seen and experienced a lot of things!

About 2 weeks ago I started using a new eye cream. Do you think this could be the culprit?

I did stop using it. But now I am uncertain as to what to do. Do nothing? Use something else? It does not hurt or appear red at this point. It is a tiny bit itchy but not much.

What do you all think? And do you have any suggestions as to what to use or not use? Or as to what you think it might me?

I use Refresh Optive eye drops and have been for some time as my eye doctor told me to use them for irritated eyes. This wouldn't cause this to you think?

I doubt that it is the cold as it has never done this to me before but I guess you never know.

Thanks for any and all posts!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Peely, flaky skin under the eyes? What the????

I share your pain in all you posted, angelpuppy! This is the first time for me, too. Under my eye flaking, for me, is increased by the retin A I use faithfully under the eye. The heat (apparently) has dried out my skin like never before. Always had oily complexion in the past, so this is new.

I have been applying every serum/cream that I own in an effort to counteract this. Am using EL Repair Serum both under and above the eyes; Tarte maracuja eye cream; dipping out my HG retinol product with a swab!; have used nivea in the blue jar; strivectin eye/neck cream; Dr Gross Ferrulic Acid + Retinol under eye (yesterday). My skin under the eyes looks noticeably better yesterday with the Dr. Gross -- but I had used some of the others also!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Not everyone can tolerate daily use of Retinol/Retin A on the eye area. Try backing off on that and use just a mild moisturizer.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

A few years back I had the same problem (flaking, dry skin) around me eye area. My doctor recommended using a dab of Selsun Blue Shampoo in that area, but be careful not to get any in your eye! It worked like a charm.

asltw

Trusted Contributor

OP, you didn't mention what new eye cream you are using but I bet that is the culprit, especially if it has retinol in it. I use the ROC retinol eye cream a few times a week at night but can't use it every night because it makes the skin under my eyes too dry and flaky.

Trusted Contributor

I had the same thing, then it started on my eyelids. Scared me to death, as it had never happened to me before. I went to my primary care doctor, and they had no idea. I was finally referred to an opthamologist and she took one look at me and said, "You have what we call, allergy shiners." (It's crazy that this kind of thing happens all of a sudden as an adult, but I hear it happens all the time!) Now I have to use a mild steroid cream (Aveeno Naturals Hydrocortizone OTC) to keep it somewhat under control. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

Give Marula oil a try. It's excellent for dry skin and will balance it out. I buy acure Organics Marula oil from iherb.com You use very little and will get results. absorbs quickly.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I get dry, red, and flaky skin on my chin, often due to new product reactions. When I do, I stop using most products and go back to basics - cleanse, moisturize, maybe sunscreen. I avoid most serums and even avoid cosmetics. (Not a big deal for me, but I know that would be a nightmare for some people, so adjust as needed.) Once my skin heals, I begin adding things back in one at a time. I usually retest the item I suspect of causing the reaction - sometimes it was something else and it's important to identify the right triggers to prevent reactions. I would find another place to test that cream, though - maybe the neck or inner arm near the elbow. That lets you test without causing a reaction near your eyes, which is a tricky place to have issues.

If you go back to basics and do not notice an improvement in 24-48 hours, I would make an appointment with a doctor, because it could be something else.

I've had a terrible reaction to several products with physical sunscreens, so now I have to use chemical sunscreen and I'm sad about that.

Super Contributor

I agree it is the new eye cream. Go back to what you were using before or try something for very sensitive skin until you heal, doesn't have to be an eye cream, per se. Cerave, Vanicream, Cetaphil in the tub. Don't use anything that is for brightening or dark circles or puffiness because they will contain actives that might further aggravate the area. A little olive oil at night over your eye cream will help, too. I know there there are women on here who detest petroleum jelly but it is very soothing under the eye area. Many would have you believe it is like putting gasoline on your skin. No.

Also, while healing rethink the cleanser you use on your eye area. Might have been fine before and will be fine again but right now, keep it as simple as you can with anything that touches your under eye area including concealer or foundation.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much! It was Garner and it I am pretty sure had a mild retinol in it. I am think that I just cannot use a product with this in it. I have used quite a few eye creams over the years and never had this type of problem before. I was previously using one by Boots and never had any issues with it, but I ran out and did not get around to ordering it. Our stores sell some Boots but not what I needed.

I have over the last few days, stopped using almost everything. I just applied a little bit of my regular unscented Eucerin facial moisturizer under they eye area and that is it. It is, I believe, starting to look somewhat better. But, I am going to take it really easy!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin