Regular Contributor

It's a bit too pricey for my budget since it is pure perfume, but I would like to see what the fragrances smell like. Description does nothing for me. For perfume, I have to smell it in person, try it out and see if the fragrance lasts or works with my chemistry. One way to make $$ from the terrific TV series.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/the-downton-abbey-ladies-get-their-own-perfume-103567487053.html

Respected Contributor

Re: New: Downton Abbey Perfume

Does it smell like a damp, dusty old building?

Respected Contributor

On 11/25/2014 VCamp2748 said:

Does it smell like a damp, dusty old building?

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

From the link kmt posted:

Downton Abbey Characters Get Their Own Perfume

Downton Abbey diehards are counting down the days until the show returns on January 4. But for those of us who can’t wait to catch up on the saga of the Grantham family, now there’s Downton Abbey perfume—seven perfumes, actually, each meant to capture the essence of a character.

Lady Mary’s fragrance, Bittersweet, is a mix of jasmine, honey, amber, and woods. Aristocrat, named for Countess Violet, is a spicy blend of orris and orchid, with the unexpected addition of pink pepper and patchouli. And Lady Edith has an “Elegant Flourish,” with cherry blossom, apple, melon, black cherry, jasmine, tonka bean, and amber. The fragrances aren’t cheap—$75 for a rollerball, or $245 for a set of seven—but these are pure perfumes, undiluted with alcohol, which partly explains the price tag.

So, will they make you smell like it’s 1919? Probably not. Although these fragrances are inspired by characters from almost 100 years ago, they’re formulated to appeal to modern noses.

Were Lady Mary to wear perfume, though, she would have had plenty of choice. The post-Edwardian era was one of the most exciting times in perfume history, simply because 19th-century chemists had made great strides in developing synthetic perfume molecules. By the time the 1910s rolled around, perfumers were no longer restricted to use only essential oils; instead, they had synthetic musk, civet, and floral scents at their disposal.

Those ingredients led to a burst of creativity from French perfumers such as Paul Poiret and François Coty, the latter of whom pioneered the idea of selling individual bottles of perfume. Fragrances of the decade included Guerlain L’Heure Bleue, a dreamy powdery floral from 1912; and Caron Tabac Blond, a smoky, leathery scent released in 1919. From there, the Roaring 20s ushered in the use of aldehydes in fragrance, most famously with Chanel No. 5—modern and unconventional, it’s a Lady Edith perfume if one ever existed.

Of course, there’s no way of knowing what, exactly, the Downton ladies would have worn in their day. (They are, after all, fictional characters.) But if you’re a fan of the show, these new fragrances may be the ultimate fan tribute. After all, anyone can quote Maggie Smith, but smelling like your favorite serial drama? Now that’s dedication.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

Breaks down to about $35.00 for the set of seven. Not bad price wise compared to Dept. store scents. Now it is higher than say Shania Twain's perfume.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Here are all of the scent descriptions posted on ShopPBS site:

"Anna's Romance" – Anna Bates
• Top Notes: Black Cherry, Bergamot, Bitter Orange
• Middle Notes: Orchid, Almond Blossom, Gardenia
• Base Notes: Vanilla Bean, Liquid Caramel, Patchouli

"Grace & Devotion" – Lady Cora
• Top Notes: Fresh Citrus, Neroli Mélange
• Middle Notes: Jasmine, Warm Spices, Vanilla
• Base Notes: Musk, Vanilla, Amber

"Honestly Daisy" – Daisy Mason
• Top Notes: Orange Blossom, Ginger
• Middle Notes: Jasmine, White Floral, Vanilla
• Base Notes: Sheer Musk, Sandalwood, Amber

"Elegant Flourish" – Lady Edith
• Top Notes: Cherry Blossom, Apple, Melon
• Middle Notes: Almond Blossom, Black Cherry, Jasmine
• Base Notes: Amber, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean, Musk

"Bittersweet" – Lady Mary
• Top Notes: Amber, Ciste, Labdanum
• Middle Notes: Jasmine, Myrrh, Honey
• Base Notes: Musk, Precious Woods

"Demure" – Lady Rose
• Top Notes: Geranium, Pink Pepper, Freesia
• Middle Notes: Pink Rose, Vanilla Orchid, Peony
• Base Notes: Amber, Orris, Musk, Sandalwood

"Aristocrat" – Countess Violet
• Top Notes: Pink Pepper, Carnation, Mandarin
• Middle Notes: Vanilla Orchid, Cinnamon, Orris
• Base Notes: Amber, Patchouli, Sandalwood

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

If they're smart, they'll come out with a cologne to bring the price down. I rarely splurge for real perfume.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

I hope you fans enjoy it if you get it!

Super Contributor

It would be nice to have a rollerball collection of real perfume!

I thought this was interesting:

Those ingredients led to a burst of creativity from French perfumers such as Paul Poiret and François Coty, the latter of whom pioneered the idea of selling individual bottles of perfume.

I wonder how perfume was sold before then?

Respected Contributor

On 11/25/2014 beckyb1012 said:

Breaks down to about $35.00 for the set of seven. Not bad price wise compared to Dept. store scents. Now it is higher than say Shania Twain's perfume.

The size of each of the roll-ons in the gift set ($244.99) is 4 ml. The other sizes if individually purchased ($74.99) are 8 ml roll-ons.

Downton Abbey Fragrance: Lady Mary,

Downton Abbey Fragrance: Ladies of Downton,

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

Didn't they just use small vials for perfumes, like what they used for liquid meds?