Trusted Contributor

BB cream or CC cream, I still don't get it?

I am in my 50's with combination skin. I'm trying to wean off of my pressed powder foundation because even in my oily areas it's beginning to have a dry "look". I don't want a full coverage foundation. I have read and read and heard about BB and CC creams, but I still don't understand the difference between and the properties of each.

I need help....

Honored Contributor

Re: BB cream or CC cream, I still don't get it?

BB = Beauty Balm. It's a combination product that has primer, moisturizer, is tinted, and usually sunscreen all in one product.

CC = Color Correction. It's got the same things that a BB cream has, but will adjust and even out your skintone as long as you buy one in the right range, such as a light/light-medium/medium-dark. It also some other ingredients that help with anti-aging and brightening.

Respected Contributor

While many users have complained that BB doesn’t work for all skin tones and and leaves an oily finish, CC Creams aim to pick up where its predecessor left off. Its mousse-like texture blends easily, evens out the texture and the color of the skin and provides a dewy glow.

While most Blemish Balms fall midway between tinted moisturizers and foundations on the coverage spectrum, CC Creams can actually correct and even out skin tones. Some offer a light to medium coverage, like Olay Total Effects CC Tone Correcting UV Moisturizer or Clinique’s Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30 Hydrating Color Corrector, while others, like Chanel CC Cream Color Correction Complete or Rachel K Mineral Color Control will come pretty close to a foundation.

This is some information from an article that I found comparing the two.

Honored Contributor

I suspect that the differences between the two and between the two and regular foundation might for the most part just be how they're marketed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Do you recommend a BB or CC for combination skin? I'm afraid of them being too oily.

Trusted Contributor

I think that each company's products are different. You should try some on and then decide.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps you may want to try a tinted moisturizer. BB & CC creams are something that cosmetics cos. had to come up with as far as a new product(s).

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

On 11/25/2014 Quinny said:

Do you recommend a BB or CC for combination skin? I'm afraid of them being too oily.

Hi Quinny,

I'm late 50's, combination skin and the absolute best product I've found is Bourjous Perfect 123 CC Cream. It's highly recommended by Lisa Eldridge as well - watch this video:

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/26180/fresh-faced-beauty-makeup-with-sophie-dahl/tag/26186/#.VHUgf...

It's sold in Europe, but you can buy it on asos.com or lifeandlooks.com. It's not expensive either.

Honored Contributor

http://www.lumene.com/us/bb-cc

I started using Lumene BB cream and was happy; then I started using their CC cream and am now happier. Available at CVS and Walgreens and frequently on sale...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

My opinion is that as cosmetic consumers we should refuse to be victims of marketing genius that has made BB and CC creams so successful. They are add-ons to what we were already using as I have yet to find one which actually replaces anything. The billion dollar beauty companies will always market to make us believe that we must have whatever snake oil they want to push.

For my 60 combination-to-oily complexion looks using my regular skincare (cleanser and moisturizer), followed by Spackle then my foundation (which varies). With regard to foundations, I challenge any CC/BB cream to look more natural (because you are getting a more true to skintone shade), or cover better than a foundation formulated like Laura Mercier's Smooth Finish or Pure Minerals new Liquid Veil.