Regular Contributor

What do you over 50 Ladies use for firming and dryness?

My main issues right now are loss of firmness and I am very dry. I am using Argan oil for the dryness with good results but I am breaking out a bit so not sure if the oil agrees with me. Anyone have any other suggestions for moisturizing and addressing lack of firmness?

Valued Contributor

Re: What do you over 50 Ladies use for firming and dryness?

I'm 60 and I have found a routine that works great but I use a lot of products and mix lines. I remove make-up with a creamy cleanser like Suzanne Sommers or SKINN. Then in the shower I cleanse again with SSC C-Clean. The main thing is to cleanse your skin but not strip-dry it. I use a moisturizing toner am and pm; usually Suz Sommers. Exfoliation is imperative so get Isomers Retiniacide, SSC Glycolic Peel, SSC C-Extreme Resurfacing Kit - all of those are excellent. Scrubs don't work as well for me now. I don't like SKINNs Dermappeal. Serious Skin Care has the best firming products I've found. Reverse Lift, Firm-a-face, Nec-dec etc. I also like Genefique and SKINN Beauty Flash. SSC's new Beauty Book Vlll has many of these products in it. I highly recommend it. SKINNs 24-Hr Collagenesis Cremes are good for tthe dryness. Sorry I mentioned so many products but I use all of them either in am or pm and not all of them everyday.
Super Contributor

For about 8/10 years I've been using Avon's Dramatic Firming Cream.

Honored Contributor

I'm 57. A few months ago I ventured a bit more into Asian skincare. They have these concentrates that they call "ampoules". I have a few different ones. In the morning I add a couple of drops of a collagen ampoule to my first essence (toner). In the evening I add a couple of drops of a peptide ampoule to my first essence and also use a peptide serum at night. My moisturizer is Mizon Collagen Power Lifting Emulsion. I also include Laneige Water Bank Serum in my routine and use Laneige Water Sleeping Mask a few nights a week. Love that stuff! I can honestly say my skin is in the best condition it's ever been in, in all my adult life. Using an AHA product several times a week also builds collagen, provided they have the right pH.

Esteemed Contributor

What Kathleen said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the recommendation Kathleen and tototwo.... I ordered the Avon's Dramatic Firming Cream on Amazon with Prime shipping. Cheaper there than ordering from Avon. I am 58 and recently lost 136 lbs and desperately need firming on my neck. I know the product won't work miracles, but, maybe it will help with firming. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Contributor

Another, what Kathleen said.

Valued Contributor

I use Peter Thomas Roth for moisture, a glycolic peel once every other week, then facial flex in the evening and nuface in the am. I'm 58. I look my age but feel that I look pretty darn good, lol!
Honored Contributor

I use Marula oil for dryness and the oil balances out the skin. Has more antioxidants than argan. I use the one by acure organics and purchase at iherb.com I also use acure's night cream which slightly firms the skin -- it's a wonderful night cream. Both are reasonably priced. Since using the Marula oil my skin is never dry even in the brutal winters we have. Good luck.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Chicagoan said:

Thanks for the recommendation Kathleen and tototwo.... I ordered the Avon's Dramatic Firming Cream on Amazon with Prime shipping. Cheaper there than ordering from Avon. I am 58 and recently lost 136 lbs and desperately need firming on my neck. I know the product won't work miracles, but, maybe it will help with firming. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Good for you! I hope it was what you wanted to do, not the result of an illness.

I keep forgetting to try that Avon -- lots of people here have raved about it. Sure hope it helps you. Let us know! Good luck!

The best thing I've found to really HYDRATE my skin is Skinn's Stem Rejen Face Serum. It's more like a light lotion than a serum. It has algae in it now, though, so it's causing breakouts in people who react that way to algae. (Thankfully, I'm not one of them!)

Never really cared for the oils I've tried, EXCEPT I've begun mixing a pump or two of CeraVe's Night lotion with a pump of Skinn's Lipid Oil. I LOVE this combo! Don't care for the oil on its own, and the CeraVe isn't quite hydrating enough. But with I combine the two it's just perfect.