Valued Contributor

I have one of those "undergrounder" facial cysts. It's on the upper part of my cheek. I have been putting warm compresses on it and it seems to be shrinking but it's been a week. Any advice other than having a dermatologist put a shot of cortisone in it? I use various skin care lines and vary my foundation ...BM, LG, IT so not sure why this appeared. I am no spring chicken and thought my days of any type of breakouts were over!

Honored Contributor

Hot compresses will help, but when I get one of those I either put tea tree oil on it or a big glob of mint julep mask and leave it on overnight. I don't know that mint julep has to be the exact mask, but something clay based that will draw the impurities to the surface and get rid of them.

Valued Contributor

Definitely see a dermatologist. An injection will make the cyst go away in a few days.

Valued Contributor

use warm salt water for your compress.

Super Contributor

Lance it with a clean needle. It won't hurt (anymore than one of those does). You need to drain it of the sebum (it will be clear), then it will start to heal. Or you could let it drain on it's own, but it will take considerably longer.

I got them all the time when I was still eating dairy.

Super Contributor

Seeing a Derm is fine, if you have time and insurance coverage for injecting a pimple....

Personally I don't think a severe pimple is worth getting an artificial hormone injected into my body. I'll save it for something more serious.

Super Contributor

In that location it might be a milia and you can scar yourself trying the DIY approach. I'd go to a professional.

Super Contributor
On 11/23/2014 Cinder63 said:

In that location it might be a milia and you can scar yourself trying the DIY approach. I'd go to a professional.

You can get milia out yourself too.

Super Contributor

I don't care to dig around in my facial skin to save a few bucks but to each her own.

Valued Contributor

I've had them and use ichthammol drawing salve. I ordered mine from Amazon as it can be difficult to find in a drugstore. Put some on and cover with a bandaid. As for "poking" around it, I'd make sure it's ready. Also the warm salt water helps.

I've also found that mixing some ACV with water (I use the Braggs) and dabbing on it will help. Be sure to dilute in water as it can burn the skin.

Between these 2, I've had success.