Valued Contributor

Weigh In On Lipgloss For Women Over 50 - 60

All of a sudden, it's everywhere - from Andrea Q. Robinson's "Toss the Gloss" to just about every beauty magazine and blog post - that women shouldn't let lipgloss touch their lips after a certain age. I'm not ready to toss mine, maybe not ever. First, I find lipstick way too drying, and repeated application only builds up the color because of the stain it puts down. I like putting my lipstick on, blotting and putting a touch of gloss over it. Many times I just put on lipstick in the morning and carry around gloss for touch ups. Nothing moisturizes my lips like gloss, not even many lip balms. Second, I live in an area, Cape Cod, which is notorious for women wearing no makeup, I mean none! Cherry Chapstick is the height of glamour for many! Except for work and a rare evening out, if I wear lipstick, I just plain look out of place here.

What is your opinion, if you are over 40, do you use it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Weigh In On Lipgloss For Women Over 50 - 60

I do still use lipgloss,however I am more of a lipstick woman,always have been-but I still like and use gloss, I am very picky about my gloss though, nothing thick and goopy and super shiny where it feels like vaseline on your lips....My favorite gloss brands are Smashbox,Bobbi Brown and Chantecaille....I like BE glosses as well!Oh and Doris Dalton's.......

Trusted Contributor

I am 54 and still use lipgloss; however, I like a light, sheer gloss, not a heavy, thick, goopy gloss like we wore in the 80s.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Frequent Contributor

I'm 59 and pretty much use Korres lip glosses daily. Sheer, non- drying color.
Honored Contributor

I just turned 50 and I won't be giving up lip gloss.

I never liked thick, shiny gloss with sparkles. I like my lips to look moist and have some color.

Valued Contributor

I'm way over 60 and only use lip gloss. No intention of stopping.
Honored Contributor

I need definition to my lips and lip gloss only stays on for five minutes on me. I have tried it but have given up. I do not use it at all anymore.

I use L'Oreal lipstick from CVS. I use a medium shade, apply, then powder, then apply again. It will last for hours unless I eat.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

It depends on how much is applied. If the lips look oily and overdone, then it's not good. But applying a little and maybe even blotting a bit can add a little brightness to any age face, especially if the lipstick is a little too matte. Look at yourself in the mirror, add a little gloss, then look again--do you look better? Then go with it.

Honored Contributor

i am in between the two ages you posted and i wear lipliner, lipstick, and lip gloss either alone or all together. i am not about to stop......Smile

if you dont want to go all out then just try a dab in the middle of your upper and lower lip.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Ford, my MIL does exactly what you do with great results! No matter what I do, I've tried your method over and over, my lipstick comes off in one meal. Grrrr! Its absolutely irritating for me. I don't know why it doesn't work! My SIL actually had her "lipstick?" tattooed on. I know, it sounds gross bt she is Hispanic and the lady that did hers was really good and it looks great and natural once she puts lipstick over it. I've been tempted to do that then I talk myself out of it, I am not too good with that kind of pain! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}