Contributor

Hi. I have alopecia due to genetics. Does anyone recommend a product that might just let me keep the little hair I have left? I'm 56. Thank you so much.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hair products for alopecia

What has the dermatologist told you? I've had a few attacks of alopecia, with all but one limited to one or two small spots. Right now, I have a spot that's bigger than usual in the back of my head that isn't visible. I've used clobetasol 0.05% and unscented minoxidil 0.25% (the strength for men is not recommended for women) together. I had one attack in the summer of 2010 with multiple spots, including one big one on the top of my head. It was awful. My doctor treated me but said if it didn't fill in I might get steroid injections. Within about four months, my hair had grown in.

There are dermatologists who specialize in hair problems and probably ones who deal only with alopecia. You might try to get an appointment with such a person, as they would have the best advice for you and could possibly link you up with new or experimental treatments.

When I had that one bad attack, I bought a wig, though I didn't wear it. My advice would be to make yourself happy by using a nice hairpiece of something like that. I know that it's hard to use extensions because you can't clip them onto your hair. I wish you luck.

Contributor

Hi. thank you. I have a different form of alopecia that you. Mine is called Androgenetic alopecia. It's heredity. I was diagnosed at UCSF San Francisco. I have tried Rogaine, birth control pills, etc that dr. told me about years ago. I'm using a gentle shampoo now is all. thank you so much for your reply.

Respected Contributor

Reneea: Have you tried Propecia? Since you don't have alopecia areata, would hair extensions or some kind of attractive wig do anything for you? When I had my bad attack in the summer of 2010, I couldn't attach any kind of extensions to my hair because of the rapid loss that comes with that condition. I'd advise you to make yourself cosmetically happy unless and until there are other treatments available. That's what I decided during that awful summer when I didn't know how bad it would get or when/whether it would grow back. I spoke to a lady who makes wigs who said she can make one that would stay on if you were riding a roller coaster.

Super Contributor

Not sure if this would help, but someone once posted that her mother, who had been losing her hair (I'm not sure of the cause) tried Nutri-Ox products from Sally's. I think it's a knock-off of another brand. Anyway, she said it helped her mother a LOT. I keep meaning to get some, but I keep forgetting. :- ) Anyway, just passing it along. It's got a shampoo, conditioner and serum (not minoxidil). Good luck!

Contributor

Thank you both so much. I kinda don't want to wear a wig yet. Think it's too thin for extensions. I love all of your ideas and I will also check out Nutri-Ox too. xoxoxo Happy almost Thanksgiving!!

Super Contributor

I can't tell by your post or subsequent posts if you have been to the derm recently. There are so many advancements in all areas of medicine that maybe something is new to the market. Also, I would bet there are many online support groups and you'd probably great "off label" advice from other who are on the same journey. Go to google and search for Androgenetic alopecia online support groups or Androgenetic alopecia online forums etc.

Very best wishes!

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Super Contributor

Reneea you are not alone, this topic comes up quite often. I suspect my hair loss is due to androgenic as well. I have, thinning in the temple area, and I have a widows peak hairline now which used to be filled in. Temple thinning is called "Norwood" pattern..women get this as well as men.

The only treatment that helped me is Biotin with MSM supplements. Give the supplements time to work - if they are effective for you, will see new hair growth in 4-6 months (hair grows about 1/2" per month) so in 4 month you could notice 2" of growth. The MSM is key because along with Biotin which encourages growth, MSM extends the growth/rest phase so the hair stays on the head longer. My hair is thinner and oily, at my age I would think it would be dry? My hair is very long too, due to the Biotin (Andrew Lessman but there are others).

The following site has information about female hair loss. It may be helpful. The company does hair restoration, but the link here is specific to women's hair loss:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-loss/women/

overview of medications:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/medications/

ed. typo

Contributor

thank you!! I will look into Biotin. I moved from Ca. to Nv. 5 months ago and haven't seen a derm. the last many years, bec. it's kinda specialized it seems. Not many doctors know much about it. If you have a relative with very thinning hair, then maybe you do have Androgenetic Alopecia. I was on yahoo groups for this, and we are in same boat. I'm going to check out the Biotin info and I thank you. Someone once told me; "it's good you aren't losing your hair from cancer." And, since then, it's made it so much easier that it's not a deadly disease. It's just hard bec I used to put my hair in pony tails, etc and every year, I have to cut it shorter and shorter to look fuller. I guess I need to be grateful. xo

Honored Contributor

I have taken mega doses of Biotin for years, has not helped my hair loss one bit!! also tried Biosil, Lessman, and Viviscal, no results.