Respected Contributor

O/T Lesson learned at the Post Office today

This was new to me.....

I usually use the self-serve kiosk at the P.O. to mail my packages. Today when I went to pay there was a problem with the unit so I had to go to the counter. (ugh the line)

It was LESS expensive at the counter! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I told my co-worker about this and she was surprised that I did not know this! She told me she never uses the self-serve kiosk (other than to buy stamps) because of the up-charge. I am really surprised by this.

Did anyone else know this?

Respected Contributor

Re: O/T Lesson learned at the Post Office today

well, now I do!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for this information. I don't mail packages very often but it is surprising that you wouldn't pay the same amount. This really doesn't make any sense to me but I will always use the counter if I ever need to mail any packages in the future.

Respected Contributor

Guess I know it now! Hate going to PO and waiting in the long lines that never seem to move!
Honored Contributor

Yes, actually I did know this but only because I'm in there every day or two mailing eBay packages. ALSO.... I print my postage out from the eBay/Paypal site and get a discount as well but another interesting thing of note is to realize that if you put your package into the Kiosk it will not be scanned into the "system" until that evening. Important if you have time constraints tied to the delivery of your package.

I have to stand in line in order to 1) have my package scanned in, in front of me (so I know the time/date stamp will be when I dropped the package off, and 2) receive a physical receipt so I can prove my package was delivered to the post office when I said it was.

For me, it's vital because I only have 24 hours to process and ship my packages in order to keep my Top Rated Seller status.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

I had no idea. Thanks for that information.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Thank you all: no more kiosk unless it's afterhours!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

And using some online services (though you have to subscribe) is cheaper for delivery confirmation, and they have better insurance and cheaper, too. If you ship a lot of ebay, it's well worth it to use it.

Honored Contributor

I had no idea! How much more was it?

Respected Contributor

I had no idea so thanks for sharing. I don't mail packages very often & when I do, I try to use the PO self-service on weekends when they're closed. So paying a little more to do that would be a "convenience fee" for me.