Respected Contributor

Question about finger nails that seem to lift from the nail bed

For many years I wore acrylic and gel nails. Now the white of my finger nail on some nails look raggedy and do not attach to the nail bed itself until further down if that makes sense. This is on my pinkie fingers only. I think it is called lifting. There is no sign or infection or psoriasis or fungus. Not soft or painful but persists even though I have not had artificial anything on them for a couple of years. My nail just doesn't seem to be attached to the bed until further down. Any thoughts on the subject? Many thanks for reading my post.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about finger nails that seem to lift from the nail bed

Wow, I've never heard of that happening! Have you googled it? I would be concerned that they are prone to infection (even though they are not currently infected) and/or that it is indicative of something else. Have you asked a doctor about it? I don't mean to scare you, but I would want to find out what is causing it. Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

Having no experience with acrylic nails, it has to be from all that. And if you are sure there is nothing medically wrong about them, then I would get a really good nail vitamin to take , like biotin and then something to brush on them and just keep them as healthy and free of chemicals as possible. I went thru chemo 2 years ago and it destroyed 2 finger nails that still look awful even now. I rub on the TIPS oil and at night and try to not pick at them. Also try Nailtiques formula 2--that is really good. Can be found at Walgreens or Ulta or most drug store. The biotin will take several months to kick in but it will help.

Respected Contributor

Thanks to you both. I have been on Biotin for years now and it has helped my hair for sure. The only thing I can think of is that my pinky fingers curl under and are quite small and the pressure of the acrylic and sometimes tips caused them to pull away for so long there is scarring on the nail bed.

I did ask my derm and he just shrugged his shoulders and said something about the destructiveness of artificial nails. He said Biotin in high doses might help. No sign of fungus or infection. I don't think he really knew any more than I do. Just a weird sort of thing in just two nails. I hoped maybe someone one on this board had the same thing or knew what it was.

Trusted Contributor

I have one nail with this lifting on the edge. When I asked my dermatologist she said it could be the result of trauma to the nail or it just happens as we age.

Contributor

See if your derm will subscribe a product called Penlac. It comes in generic called Ciclopirox tropical. When I first started using yrs ago it was about 200.00 a bottle. Now the generic can be free or I paid 6 dollars for mine last time. All depending on your insurance. It works for me. I was also told whatever I have it can lay dormant and rear its ugly head anytime. I have had at times all ten fingers with lifting. I only have a problem with one now. When I try to wear polish it sometimes starts up again.

Esteemed Contributor

How long has it been? When I was going through my second type of chemo all of my nails did that. I was horrified that they would remain that way, but they did not. When I finished treatment the nails gradually re-attached to the nail bed out to the end.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

It has been several years since I had artificial anything on nails. On one little finger I remember the nail tech filed through the nail and it bled from the nail bed. That is the worse of the two.

Esteemed Contributor

A long while ago, my thumb nails pulled away slightly from the nail beds. I went to the doctor and he told me it was a fungus, even though there was no indication of anything like a fungus or infection. He gave me anti-fungal pills that I took for a long time. They moved close to the bed but always seem a little thicker than other nails. I stopped getting weekly manicures....

Respected Contributor

It could be a fungus. I had this happen several of my nails lifted while having acrylic nails. I stopped having my nails done, removed the acrylic nails. I used Tea Tree Oil. I put it under and around each nail. Kept my nails really short. The nail will have to completely grow out. But in time your nails will will get better. I think I got the fungus from dirty manicuring tools at the nail salon. Tree Tree Oil is available at Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid and Walmart. It is also good on Toe Nail fungus.