Respected Contributor

Finally, my skin's PH balance has been restored

A few weeks ago, many of you beauties gave me your recs for my combo skin. I have the oily T zone and patchy dry skin (flaky) elsewhere. Here's what I'm now doing that has turned my skin around to a healthy glow:

After washing my face with Simple facial cleanser, I apply Skinn Enriched Softening Essence and finish my routine off with Simple Nourishing day/night cream. I exfoliate by using a microfiber face towel and the Simple facial cleanser only once a week. I think I was overdoing the exfoliating.

Thanks for the Simple products rec - wish I could remember who that was, but you know who you are!!! Cool

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

Re: Finally, my skin's PH balance has been restored

Great news that your skin barrier function has been restored. Over-exfoliation can be damaging.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Honored Contributor

I love the Simple cleanser, the one that is a gel.

Respected Contributor

First, congrats on turning your skin around! A healthy glow is the best. Second, I know your thread isn't addressing this, and this may be a "dumb" question, but how does someone get a pH reading of their skin? I've seen it mentioned in articles I've read, but I don't know how you know when you have a neutral reading or not. Are there various questions asked by a Derm, and numbers assigned based on how you answer? Or is it an actually skin "test?" TIA for any info.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

i like celery: I'm going on the assumption that the ph balance has been restored since I have not had any skin issues in a couple of weeks. Perhaps I misstated my claim. It certainly hasn't been checked by a derm. Just know that my skin looks healthy and has remained calm.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

On 11/14/2014 pommom said:

i like celery: I'm going on the assumption that the ph balance has been restored since I have not had any skin issues in a couple of weeks. Perhaps I misstated my claim. It certainly hasn't been checked by a derm. Just know that my skin looks healthy and has remained calm.

Oh, I didn't mean how do you know your skin is in balance. :-) I was just wondering in general how someone would (i.e. how I would know) get a pH reading of their skin. I've often read about people knowing their skin is at a certain pH number level, and I wasn't sure how that was obtained. Does that make sense?

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

Hi pommom, Just wanted you to see this. :-)

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

On 11/14/2014 i like celery said:

Oh, I didn't mean how do you know your skin is in balance. :-) I was just wondering in general how someone would (i.e. how I would know) get a pH reading of their skin. I've often read about people knowing their skin is at a certain pH number level, and I wasn't sure how that was obtained. Does that make sense?

celery - I have wondered that also. I'm thinking if you are using products that you know are ph balanced correctly for the type of product they are, then you should be ok.

That is easier said than done however. You can buy the strips to test ph on your products, but you have to know what each product's ph is supposed to be. I'm sure there may be articles on this for the basic products - I should google it. But I am not sure if there is a way to test and see what ph your own skin is.

I think pommom's way of telling is probably best - how does it feel and work on my skin!
The trouble is, sometimes you have to through a lot of products to find that out - so knowing their ph in advance is very helpful.

Sometimes I wish I were more scientific minded.....

Respected Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Lannie said:
On 11/14/2014 i like celery said:

celery - I have wondered that also. I'm thinking if you are using products that you know are ph balanced correctly for the type of product they are, then you should be ok.

That is easier said than done however. You can buy the strips to test ph on your products, but you have to know what each product's ph is supposed to be. I'm sure there may be articles on this for the basic products - I should google it. But I am not sure if there is a way to test and see what ph your own skin is.

I think pommom's way of telling is probably best - how does it feel and work on my skin!
The trouble is, sometimes you have to through a lot of products to find that out - so knowing their ph in advance is very helpful.

Sometimes I wish I were more scientific minded.....

Lannie, Thanks very much for the reply. It does seem to be a complicated process, but I'm probably putting much more thought into this than needed. ha ha I'm just very curious. I once read an article about Derms asking specific questions for pH readings, and then following up with a certain skin test, but it was awhile back, and I don't remember the source of the article. It's probably not something I would need to see a Derm for, but again, I was just curious. :-) I agree with you and pommom that the best way is probably going by how one's skin feels, and how the products being used seem to be working. You guys are a wealth of info and advice. Thanks, again!

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Super Contributor

There is a test you can do at home that gives you a rough idea of what your skins pH is. Here's a YouTube video that explains pH and how to test, hope the link works Smiley Happy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-N5PV4dKgU