Super Contributor

Question on so many active ingredients in one beauty formula

I notice on the Skinn line sold on ShopHQ, that Demetris has in some of his creams, and serums many many actives.... it is impressive, but, I question the amount of the actives he adds to each to be effective.... and just how helpful it is to have so much in one product.

Has this ever been discussed or validated that you know of? To just throw everything and the kitchen sink into a product and claim how great it is... is to me questionable. It is a good sales ploy.... What do you think?

Respected Contributor

Re: Question on so many active ingredients in one beauty formula

I agree with you and that's why I don't buy it.

Trusted Contributor

If a serum contains over 80 ingredients, it means many of them have been added at a concentration of 1% or less. Based on recommended use percentages I've read about from various skin care ingredient labs, if that serum contains numerous "actives", imho some of the actives in the serum could not be added at the recommended use level. The math simply doesn't add up.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Super Contributor

On 11/14/2014 lyn in MI said: If a serum contains over 80 ingredients, it means many of them have been added at a concentration of 1% or less. Based on recommended use percentages I've read about from various skin care ingredient labs, if that serum contains numerous "actives", imho some of the actives in the serum could not be added at the recommended use level. The math simply doesn't add up.
ITA-That's exactly what I was going to say. Also, there is a reason companies don't tell us the percentages of many ingredients, they don't add enough to be effective. Most consumers don't care about learning about ingredients like those here on the BB. They just want to buy it and have it do what the package says. ~smiles, SnowKita
Honored Contributor

Yes, there are alot of lines that do this with some of their products- Skinn, IT, and even some of Paula's choice stuff. Many of those so-called actives aren't doing anything for you at the % and imo, you are often overpaying for those products, especially when the highest concentration of ingredients are the least active, like water and silicones.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/14/2014 SnowKita said:
On 11/14/2014 lyn in MI said: If a serum contains over 80 ingredients, it means many of them have been added at a concentration of 1% or less. Based on recommended use percentages I've read about from various skin care ingredient labs, if that serum contains numerous "actives", imho some of the actives in the serum could not be added at the recommended use level. The math simply doesn't add up.
ITA-That's exactly what I was going to say. Also, there is a reason companies don't tell us the percentages of many ingredients, they don't add enough to be effective. Most consumers don't care about learning about ingredients like those here on the BB. They just want to buy it and have it do what the package says. ~smiles, SnowKita
This is a very valid point that people should think about. Consider too, that the bulk of a product will be the water, glycerin, silicones, etc. that make up the base. The long list of active or "natural" ingredients is a marketing tactic. Some examples sold here are the Wen 613 body cream and IT serums. If you use a tablespoon of a cream with 80 ingredients, the amount of most of them will be barely detectable.
Trusted Contributor

This is a very valid point that people should think about. Consider too, that the bulk of a product will be the water, glycerin, silicones, etc. that make up the base. The long list of active or "natural" ingredients is a marketing tactic. Some examples sold here are the Wen 613 body cream and IT serums. If you use a tablespoon of a cream with 80 ingredients, the amount of most of them will be barely detectable.
Trusted Contributor

Respected Contributor

Lyn, don't know if you will see this, but what do you think is the best vitamin c/hyaluronic serum?

TIA

Honored Contributor

A few months back there was a female derm doc on the Q selling a very expensive cream, it had over 30 actives in it, anyone remember the name of it?