Contributor

DESPERATE FOR HELP WITH MY NAILS!

Hello Ladies, I am in need of help with my fingernails. My nails have always been on the thin side and I don't keep them very long but the past year they are splitting horizontally and I cannot grow them at all. I have used many nail products from the Q, like Perfect Formula and Tips. They never worked perfectly, but nothing compared to what I am dealing with lately. I cannot put jewelry on without the clasp making a mark on my nail.

I have been taking Biotin for a few months hoping that might help-not yet? Any help is appreciated!

Honored Contributor

Re: DESPERATE FOR HELP WITH MY NAILS!

Try Duri Rejuvacote and CND Solar Nail Oil. Are you taking a mega dose of Biotin, 10,000 mcg daily is about the maximum.

Contributor

I will try these two out. I am not sure of the dose (I am at work) but will later.

THANK-YOU!

Trusted Contributor

I have always had soft, splitting nails and Nailtiques Formula 2 helps a lot. I also wear polish regularly, which seems to protect them as well. And it really makes a difference if I don't wear gloves when doing any kind of "dirty" work with my hands, like house cleaning or gardening. Those kind of chores tear my nails up.

Respected Contributor

I have bad nails too and am taking biotin and using perfect formula. They are not great but the combo seems to be helping. I hope you find something that works, be sure and share if you do!

Honored Contributor

On 11/13/2014 Vamp said:

I have always had soft, splitting nails and Nailtiques Formula 2 helps a lot. I also wear polish regularly, which seems to protect them as well. And it really makes a difference if I don't wear gloves when doing any kind of "dirty" work with my hands, like house cleaning or gardening. Those kind of chores tear my nails up.

I second these suggestions. Also lubricate your cuticles with oil or a rich cream as often as possible. Skip the biotin. I took big doses for over a year with absolutely no results...you might as well swallow a couple of M&Ms.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

On 11/13/2014 kachina624 said:
On 11/13/2014 Vamp said:

I second these suggestions. Also lubricate your cuticles with oil or a rich cream as often as possible. Skip the biotin. I took big doses for over a year with absolutely no results...you might as well swallow a couple of M&Ms.

I agree. I tried the biotin with no results. What works best for me is good cuticle cream and I keep clear nail polish on my nails. I think the hair and nail thing go together. I've never had good hair or nails and never will. I have tried everything.

Regular Contributor

I thought I would copy this article about Nail Buffing:

(It has helped my poor, thin nails--especially if I do it weekly.)

There are several unique benefits to fingernail buffing, which is done by running a three or four-sided buffing block that moves up in steps from medium-rough to smooth surfaces over each individual nail. The main advantage of doing this is improving circulation in the nail bed, which can help to keep nails healthy and strong. It can help to prevent peeling and will file down ridges in the nails, making them smoother and more attractive. Fingernail buffing can also help nail treatments to penetrate more easily and for polish to adhere evenly.

Buffing nails gently helps to improve circulation underneath in the nail bed. Poor circulation in this area can hinder nail growth and result in weak nails that are more prone to splitting and hangnails on the sides of the fingers. As nails and the nail bed do not typically receive a lot of stimulation in daily life, taking care to gently buff fingernails regularly can help to keep them healthy.

For those who want to grow longer nails, fingernail buffing can help. One of the major hurdles to growing long, healthy nails is the tips of the nails peeling, weakening the ends and making them more prone to breaking off. In the same way that trimming split ends on hair prevents it from splitting up the hair shaft, regular fingernail buffing helps to smooth out any ridges in the nail that typically lead to peeling before the nail begins to peel and break off.

The process used to buff nails helps to smooth them out and make them shiny without the need for additional products. This can make fingernails more attractive in a relatively short amount of time, while still being kept natural. It can also help to prevent discoloration before nails become stained by removing dirt and other products that cause discoloration.

One of the best ways to maintain healthy nails is to regularly moisturize the fingernails and cuticles. When fingernail buffing is performed prior to the application of moisturizers, it helps to remove any dirt or build-up on the nails that would prevent the product from fully penetrating. It can also help products meant to strengthen nails stick to them long enough for the maximum benefits to be realized.

Fingernail buffing is necessary for those who apply polish to their nails and what the polish to stay on for as long as possible. The entire three- or four-step smoothing process removes build-up that can reduce how well polish adheres to the nails. It also smooths out the entire nail, helping polish apply more evenly and making manicured nails look more attractive.

Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!
Respected Contributor

Very interesting thread. I have always had terrible nails and nothing ever seems to help. Some great suggestions.

Respected Contributor

Hard As Hoofs sold with Sally Hansen products at Walmart has made a huge difference in my nails. It is only $4.99 and can be applied over polish. It is used to be 3xday and then a maintenance of once a day or twice a day is sufficient. Prior to this product I had tried everything from Biotin to every cuticle oil out there. This is my HG!