Frequent Contributor

Really only need glasses for distance and have been taking them off for close up vision. Trying to adjust to progressive lenses.

Not liking them so far. Everything seems to "swim" when I look from the computer to the phone on my desk. Always moving my head to get the right spot to see. Eye dr. said it might take a few weeks to adjust. I don't know...I've worn contacts from age 15 to 54 and never had that long of adjust time. Even with multi-focal contacts!

Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

They do take some getting use to but the secret is you don't move your head. You move your eyes up or down for the different visual you need. It is natural to want to move your head up or down but you just use your eyes.

Regular Contributor

Ditto tp what Kitlynn say re move eyes not head. Hated mine too after wearing contacts for 35 years, but not an issue now. HTH Rose

Esteemed Contributor

Why the switch from contacts to glasses?

I got the monovision contact (one eye near, the other far) and I love them!

My eye doctor is at Costco. When he gave me the trials, he told me to get my shopping done and come back. When I went back, my brain adjusted.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor
I recently got progressives also. I didnt have any problems but they did tell me it could take time. Also it is possible they didnt put the bifocal in the right place on the lense.
Frequent Contributor

Contacts are just not as comfortable as they used to be.

Funny, my eye dr. told me to move my head...she said to "point your nose" where you want to see. If I'm looking at my computer and someone comes into my office on my right, the computer and desk start to "swim" when I look at them. If I just move my eyes from side to side, my vision is blurred as well. It's the side to side movement that causes trouble.

Contributor

I know a few people who could not tolerate them. One was my father, who actually took the glasses back and demanded his money back.

I happen to love mine! They did, however, take some time to get used to. Give it time and lots and lots of wearing them and I would bet you will come to love them. Time and patience.

Respected Contributor

It took me several weeks to adjust to my progressive lenses, but then started wearing contacts and readers instead. When I have to wear my glasses, I just make do, but my glasses script is stronger than my contacts due to the difference in the focal point of each. I will eventually have to go back to glasses but will need lines due to a focusing problem, a fuzzies when I look from near to far or vice versa. My doc said that I need regular lined bifocals or special treatment session to fix it. There isn't a treatment place within 3 hours of me, so the glasses are the practical option and insurance pays for it.

Respected Contributor
On 11/11/2014 Kitlynn said:

They do take some getting use to but the secret is you don't move your head. You move your eyes up or down for the different visual you need. It is natural to want to move your head up or down but you just use your eyes.

I have progressives and I do just the opposite. I move my head. If I just move my eyes, things are not in focus.

Valued Contributor
My husband and I got progressives the same day. My prescription is much stronger than his. I took to mine within hours but it took my husband months. He likes them now. I guess just stick with it as long as it's not giving you headaches.