Honored Contributor

HEP (Healthy Eating Program) – November 2014

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation. This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

/></p> <p> </p>

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: HEP (Healthy Eating Program) – November 2014

I was in a horrible summer food rut. Now that cooler weather's here, I'm looking forward to soups and stews. Bring on the squash!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Yes, I am looking forward to soups too. Although, I basically have some everyday. They offer them where I work so most times I get a cup. I love soups. And stews too.

Eating healthy hasnt been going so well. It is a work in progress for me. However, I did start to exercise 3 days ago. Starting slow but my goal is to make it a habit. I figure it is time to get fit and, also, burn some calories. My metabolism isnt what it use to be sadly. And now winter is around the corner and with all of the comfort foods that winter brings with it, exercise will be my saving grace, I think.

I am making a plan to eat through my pantry/fridge/freezer before buying more stuff. I will buy the necessities or things that round out what I have but other than that, I will get through what I have, I will not buy more stuff with the "intention" of making it. Here's to a healthy November.

Valued Contributor

Well good morning, ladies. I am so happy to connect with both of you over here. JustBee, I have been getting lots of squash myself. I have been trying to eat healthier here, incorporating more vegetables into our diets. DH is still eating his candy and chips, but I have stopped bringing it in the home, forcing him to stop if he wants them (and he does). I have gotten off all the processed foods and bad carbs. It is ironic, the kitchen is the only place where I don't have a big stash. I am really very good at making a list of what I need and sticking to it and we don't eat old food. I meet with my doctor this week, so I am anxious to see what my numbers look like. I exercise most days, as we do have a nice area to walk. Walking away from the house forces me to keep going, as I do have to make it back to the house. Treadmills are too easy for me to just walk off of.

Occasional Contributor

Hello, I am new to posting on the boards, but would appreciate any help for maintaining a weight loss / HEP for over the winter months. I have managed to lose 20 lbs. from about mid summer to now. I had incorporated a walking plan, worked up to 2 miles before the tempatures began to change. I don't really see myself continuing this in the cold. I have been eating close to the 1200 calories a day mark, and eliminating sweets, soda, etc. from my diet. TIA.
Contributor

On 11/2/2014 Angel136 said: Hello, I am new to posting on the boards, but would appreciate any help for maintaining a weight loss / HEP for over the winter months. I have managed to lose 20 lbs. from about mid summer to now. I had incorporated a walking plan, worked up to 2 miles before the tempatures began to change. I don't really see myself continuing this in the cold. I have been eating close to the 1200 calories a day mark, and eliminating sweets, soda, etc. from my diet. TIA.

try walking at the mall, many malls open early for walkers, but you could walk anytime there, out of the elements. try getting a fitbit and build up to 10,000 steps a day. it will make a difference.

Honored Contributor

On 11/2/2014 Beauty$Junkie said:

Well good morning, ladies. I am so happy to connect with both of you over here. JustBee, I have been getting lots of squash myself. I have been trying to eat healthier here, incorporating more vegetables into our diets. DH is still eating his candy and chips, but I have stopped bringing it in the home, forcing him to stop if he wants them (and he does). I have gotten off all the processed foods and bad carbs. It is ironic, the kitchen is the only place where I don't have a big stash. I am really very good at making a list of what I need and sticking to it and we don't eat old food. I meet with my doctor this week, so I am anxious to see what my numbers look like. I exercise most days, as we do have a nice area to walk. Walking away from the house forces me to keep going, as I do have to make it back to the house. Treadmills are too easy for me to just walk off of.

Walking isn't just exercise -- it's therapy!

We can control what we eat by not bringing contraband into the house. I was craving potato chips so I started buying Kettle chips. That crunch was addictive. But I can't continue the habit of buying big bags of chips that are 50% air. So how do I get crunch and salt without a chip?

Honored Contributor

On 11/2/2014 Angel136 said: Hello, I am new to posting on the boards, but would appreciate any help for maintaining a weight loss / HEP for over the winter months. I have managed to lose 20 lbs. from about mid summer to now. I had incorporated a walking plan, worked up to 2 miles before the tempatures began to change. I don't really see myself continuing this in the cold. I have been eating close to the 1200 calories a day mark, and eliminating sweets, soda, etc. from my diet. TIA.

ETA:

Angel, check out the ComPact thread, too. There are several posts about walking...

Respected Contributor

While I didnt lose anything yet, I am in the same boat for the winter. I get into hibernation mode and reach for comfort foods -alot. I am trying to start an exercise routine now and make it a committment, I just have never been successful at staying committed but I am detemined now. My suggestions to you would be to keep with the routine whatever you do, you dont want to lose that. Walk in the house or go to the mall as suggested by rehoda. I would also mix things up. I have such a variety of exercise stuff between equipment and dvds that have been collecting dust. I also use my hoola hoops. Its not the same as walking but I can watch tv while I am doing it and it helps to break the boredom and I am moving. Find something you enjoy doing and keep up with the routine at all costs.

Honored Contributor

Do you have any walking trails where you live? There are several here as well as parks that have specific walking areas. I still notice a lot of people prefer walking around the track at schools in their neighborhoods. Maybe they're listening to music, talk radio, or audio books...