Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2014 -- November

aprilskies said:

I cant believe Halloween is over and today is Nov. 1st. Where does the time go? To bad this is one thing we cant stock pile. Especially the weekends. Dont forget to turn your clocks back. At least we gain an hour but I dread when it starts to get dark at 4 or 4 30. I leave work and it is dark outside, ugh. Makes me feel like hibernating.

Hope everybody had a fun Halloween! I bought 168 full size candy bars and really expected a lot of kids because it was a Friday night and the weather was beautiful. But now I'm stuck with a ton of chocolate. Good thing I work in a hospital -- my colleagues will devour it.

So, here's to another month and the perfecting of our ComPacting skills! It sounds like some of you don't really need much fine tuning here. You ladies have mastered it!

Also, as aprilskies says...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

JustBee, thanks for getting us started. Count me in. With all the Black Friday specials coming, I hope I remember I am a beauty hoarder. If I forget, Note to Self: look in the closet. Good luck and thanks to all of my compactor comrades.
Honored Contributor

On 11/1/2014 Beauty$Junkie said: JustBee, thanks for getting us started. Count me in. With all the Black Friday specials coming, I hope I remember I am a beauty hoarder. If I forget, Note to Self: look in the closet. Good luck and thanks to all of my compactor comrades.

We'll remind you! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

Hi Friends,

I'm still plugging along! Recently bought some Philosophy with the new Xmas things out. Will gift some and keep some. I'm good with my purchases. I was selective and didn't get everything under the sun!

I was hoping to be completely done with my handsoap stash by the New Year. But that's not going to happen. I've finished up all BBW in my stash. Now its just Perlier and Philosophy handsoaps to get thru. But I will get thru it! I'm using up the handsoap stash at only the kitchen sink ( bathroom sink is where I'm using my shower gel stash) so that slowed it down a bit, and I was gifted some BBW handsoap. But have not bought any handsoap since joining the compact. (Yup, serious soap hoarder here, its a clean habit LOL) I'm very proud of myself!! Can't wait till they are all gone and I can just use the shower gel in all handsoap containers. It certainly is taking longer than I thought! But I'm doing it!!

Trying to resist all the holiday sets. Limiting myself to QVC's Tarte TSV, and Hourglass Ambient Blush Palette.

Happy November All!!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

On 11/1/2014 kathie66 said:

Hi Friends,

I'm still plugging along! Recently bought some Philosophy with the new Xmas things out. Will gift some and keep some. I'm good with my purchases. I was selective and didn't get everything under the sun!

I was hoping to be completely done with my handsoap stash by the New Year. But that's not going to happen. I've finished up all BBW in my stash. Now its just Perlier and Philosophy handsoaps to get thru. But I will get thru it! I'm using up the handsoap stash at only the kitchen sink ( bathroom sink is where I'm using my shower gel stash) so that slowed it down a bit, and I was gifted some BBW handsoap. But have not bought any handsoap since joining the compact. (Yup, serious soap hoarder here, its a clean habit LOL) I'm very proud of myself!! Can't wait till they are all gone and I can just use the shower gel in all handsoap containers. It certainly is taking longer than I thought! But I'm doing it!!

Trying to resist all the holiday sets. Limiting myself to QVC's Tarte TSV, and Hourglass Ambient Blush Palette.

Happy November All!!

Using shower gels as hand soap at the bathroom and kitchen sinks has really helped me put a dent in the stash. I used to use dishwashing liquid to wash my hands in the kitchen and I think it was probably too harsh. I like having something seasonal at the sinks and I can use up scents I really don't want to be trapped in the shower with. It starts out slow, but before you know it you're making progress!

Valued Contributor

Hello Everyone!

Has anyone been following HomeStorageSolutions101?

Last month was great. The focus was on the garage, the attic, jewelry, accessories, shoes, makeup and cosmetics. I tossed some really old stuff. I've also set aside several pair of shoes (never worn) that were purchased years ago (when I was working), and a couple bottles of unused fragrance. They're old, but one has a beautiful bottle that someone might want. They will go to GoodWill when the box is full.

Most of November won't apply to me though, it's Halloween, kid's stuff and home inventory.

I will try again this month to have more going out than coming in. But realistically, I know when those good sales and free shipping come along, I will surely be tempted! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Honored Contributor

Happy November, ComPactors!

Thanks for starting the threat, Bee. and for the time change reminder!

I think it is going to be a very good month.

I'll be back later...lots to do today!

Trusted Contributor

I have been steadily using up my cosmetics. It's the hardest when they are not showing pan, to keep myself motivated. I did poke a hole with a pin in my eyeshadow that had the deepest dip. I was very close to pan and after that it really kick-started the usage. Seeing that pan get bigger everyday is so fun! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to stay motivated.

I am cured of hoarding shower gels & lotions. I have only one spare of shower gel because I buy it online and DS & DH don't tell me until their bottles are empty that they need soap. So I have to be prepared for them. I have no spare lotions! I also am done with all the BBW hand soaps. Now I buy a bottle of Dr. Bronner's and dilute it to make the foaming hand soaps.

I bought some nail polishes from Zoya earlier in the year when they were running a buy3 promotion. I got an orange for Halloween thinking that me & DD would do some cute nail art. Well, did we use it? Of course not! It's just another reminder that I should not buy just to take advantage of a sale. Fortunately I passed up all the other Zoya sales since then. I just take a look at my edited (but still excessive) polish collection to convince myself that I have more than enough. I've been using one polish for the whole month to try and actually finish a bottle. That bottle can do many pedicures, let me tell ya. My goal is to have one bottle per season.

I've been decluttering my DS's room like a madwoman. The school's fun fair is coming up and needs donations. I took a deep breath and opened up his closet. He really only has a chest of lego in there that is his. The rest are stuff that I stored in there that he either outgrew or was going to use. Of course it's been so long since we opened that closet that the hand-me-downs from his cousin are too small. I'm donating that to Goodwill. The train set has been donated to the school. His toys have been edited. He goes through phases and will collect a lot of the same type of toy (i.e. Transformers, Hot Wheels, Bakugan) but eventually moves on to the next thing (now it's Nerf guns). The grandparents are usually the ones that supply him with toys. So we went through his old collections and donated a garbage bag of that to the school fair. We both feel so much better.

Today it's DD's turn. Her room looks like a hurricane went through it. Pray for me!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Respected Contributor

My latest thought - create new habits one at a time or maybe two if they go hand in hand. Years ago, I started to make my bed as soon as I got up. I would never make it in the morning but always had to make it before I went to bed. I hate going to sleep in an unmade bed. It dawned on me that why not have it looking neat and nice all day long instead of just right before going to sleep. I mean really what is the point. This became such a habit that now I dont go past go unless my bed is made. As soon as I get up, I make it. Even before coffee. So since I havent created any new habits since and since it is Nov. 1st, my new habit will be to exercise. So tired of not being fit. I did start exercising 15-20 mins a day about 3 days ago but this month, my goal is 4-5 times a week. Ideally in the morning but for now I will take night as well. I would ultimately like to get to 30 to 45 mins a day.

Anyone game in starting a new habit in Nov? It could be anything you wanted to change but never seem to get around to it.