Regular Contributor

Here I go again, another hypothetical question.

Ok.. Just wondering something.

Do you think that by buying skincare, makeup, hair care items on the shopping channel, that you may miss something that is an OTC product that is really good?

OR has this happened and you have found a really good OTC product that you love?

Super Contributor

Re: Here I go again, another hypothetical question.

Sorry, I'm not sure that I understand your question, would you will clarify, please?

All of the products that are offered for sale on TV would be considered OTC. Products that require an RX are considered medicinal.

One of the product lines that I use everyday is from a shopping channel and I consider them to be quality.

Respected Contributor

I think you're asking about buying from a home shopping channel vs buying from a local b&m store - correct?

In my case, I just flat-out got tired of buying through mail-order & would rather shop at my local stores. My needs are simple & easily met that way.

Honored Contributor

Like Magemay, I'm not sure what you're asking. OTC stands for Over the Counter and refers to medications that are sold without a prescription. All of my skincare and beauty products are OTC, no matter where I buy them.

Do you mean high end versus drugstore? If so, then so. I have products from drugstores, grocery stores, specialty stereos like Sephora, department stores, boutique stores like Lush or local boutiques, Etsy shops, and big online stores.

Yesterday I wore a CC cream from Nordstrom and today I'm wearing a foundation from Walgreens. Buying from one store does not preclude me from buying things from other stores.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/31/2014 VCamp2748 said:

I think you're asking about buying from a home shopping channel vs buying from a local b&m store - correct?

In my case, I just flat-out got tired of buying through mail-order & would rather shop at my local stores. My needs are simple & easily met that way.

I'm joining you there!

OMG, even tho I live rural and my shopping choices are limited I've actually started to schedule a shopping trip and go into a real store!

Between shipping hassles (don't get me started on Smart Post), return policies, waiting for a refund to my cc....ugh!

Honored Contributor

I think I'll wait for clarification before I answer because I honestly don't understand the question.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

I am sorry, YES, I did mean from shopping channels VS. local stores in your areas.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the clarification.

There is another huge venue other than buying locally or buying from shopping channels -- online sites. I buy many of my skincare products from Paula's Choice, either from the website or other websites that are authorized dealers. I also buy a couple products from NCN, another online retailer.

I tend not to buy skincare locally, other than maybe body care products. And I also shy away from most department store brands because they often include ingredients I don't want at prices that I think reflect advertising costs more than quality.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Thanks, now I understand! OTC is what threw me off.

There's only one "line" that I purchase from a shopping channel, but not exclusively. There are times when I purchase from the website directly.

Other than that just about everything else I use is purchased from online sites.

Drugstore/Department stores don't offer the types of products that I use and prefer, except for Target because they carry Pacifica now and I can pick up Nature's Gate body wash at our grocery store.

We don't have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's or else I could buy 1 or 2 things from there.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to answer from the opposite end of the pole:

I buy Olay products and I'm very satisfied with them! I don't see the need to even try department store or TV brands.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.