Super Contributor

Mad Hippies new Retinol serum is now available

Pretty excited about giving this a go. The more I learn about retinyl retinoate the more promising it sounds.

The consistency is much like a smooth serum, light but not watery or sticky and spreads nicely. Really happy with the feel and it plays nicely with my other serums.

It was just released last week, so far I could only find it on Mad Hippies website. It's my first time ordering from their website, they were quick to answer all of my questions thoroughly and quickly. The shipping was really fast too. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Deionized Water, Carthamus Tinctorious (Safflower) Seed Oil, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Phenethyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexyl Glyc- erin, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Retinyl Retinoate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Xanthan Gum, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Fruit Extract, Fragaria Ananassa (Pineberry) Extract, Oat Beta Glucan, Phytoceramide, Steam Distilled Aurantifolia (Lime) Essential Oil, Alpha Lipoic acid, N Acetyl D Glucosamine

Honored Contributor

Re: Mad Hippies new Retinol serum is now available

I was looking at this last night! I just got my new script for Retin-A, but haven't filled it yet. This new serum is really tempting.

Regular Contributor

What percentage of retinol is it?
Honored Contributor

It actually looks promising. I did a little googling to find out about this form of retinol and was impressed.

I just e-mailed the company asking about the percentage. I wish they had a phone contact but good to know that they answered your questions quickly.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

My email response from Sam:

The vitamin A serum uses retinyl retinoate,

a unique form of vitamin A that is 1 metabolic step away from the active
form of vitamin A in the body (where retinol is 2 steps away). It has been
shown in studies to be effective at reducing wrinkles & signs of aging at a
concentration as low as .06%.

We use .3% in our vitamin A serum.

There is really only one other skin care product out there that I know of
that uses retinyl retinoate, and it has a price tag of over $100. It's a
really exciting and premium new ingredient that is as effective as
prescription grade tretinoin, but is less irritating and drying (while also
being more stable).

Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I was looking at this last night! I just got my new script for Retin-A, but haven't filled it yet. This new serum is really tempting.

I was really looking forward to it's release. With Mad Hippies 60 day money back guarantee, it allows plenty of time to give it a good run so I don't have really anything to lose.

I'm on my second night and no reactions. It's a lovely formula.

Honored Contributor

I need something for my mad hips.

Super Contributor

Now I'm eyeing the Exfoliating Serum. This is really tempting, anyone use/try?

Not too sure about the peppermint, but overall, pretty nice ingredient list:

Water, Glycolic Acid, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Lactic Acid, Matrixyl Synthe ' 6 (Glycerin-Water(Aqua)– Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin–Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38), Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Potassium Hydroxide, Niacinamide, Sodium Hyaluronate, White Tea Extract (Camelia Sinensis), Goji Berry Extract (Lycium Barbarum), Polysorbate 20, Xantham Gum, PhytocellTec (Malus Domestica Fruit Cell Culture Extract, Xanthan Gum, Glycerin, Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Water), Gigawhite (Water, Glycerin, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Primula Veris Extract, Alchemilla Vulgaris Extract, Veronica Officinalis Extract, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract), Methyl Cellulose, Glycerin, Melatonin, Caffeine, Biotin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ceramide 3, Squalene, Behentrimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Potassium Citrate

If I remember correctly, Mad Hippie is a vegan company, so the Sodium Hyaluronate (HA) is plant sourced. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor

On 10/31/2014 brewhaha said:

I need something for my mad hips.

Nice!

Honored Contributor

Although it's third from the last, I am slightly concerned about the lime oil, as I stay away from citrus oils. I just don't understand what it could possibly add to an otherwise seemingly excellent ingredient deck.

I am, though, intrigued with this relatively new form of retinol. It seems to have good press so far.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland