Valued Contributor

ot/ what does your family do for thanksgiving?

Growing up , my mom and Grandma would cook a big meal with ham and turkey , all the usual , stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc...pies for desert . holiday punch with brandy for adults. Mom would have the house beautiful. My dad and everyone would watch football. We usually had family over, lots of kids...now my parents are gone, we don't plan to have family over, kids are grown, we don't really watch football. We don't really drink. We are vegetarians. I plan to cook, but I feel kind of at a loss, things have changed so much. Its just a day to be thankful for what we have I guess. What are you all doing for thanksgiving?
Trusted Contributor

Re: ot/ what does your family do for thanksgiving?

We will probably have Thanksgiving Day dinner at my MIL's nursing home to celebrate the holiday with her. Then we will share a holiday meal with our two daughters and SIL probably during the Thanksgiving weekend. Our married daughter will be with her in-laws on Thanksgiving Day this year, and our other daughter will be visiting us from out of town over the holiday weekend, so this will work out well. Not sure whether we'll cook at home or go out to a restaurant for a special meal.

To be honest, holidays have been much easier at our house since MIL can't get out any more to join us at home for the holidays, and since DH's alcoholic brother has moved out of state. Every holiday used to be a Stressful Festival of Family Dysfunction........and now things are so much more peaceful. Extra thankful!

Super Contributor

I have inherited hosting the family Thanksgiving Dinner. No longer is it my extended family, just Mom, siblings, our children & their children (23). . .Lunch is the traditional turkey, dressing, sweet & mashed potatoes, cranberry relish, homemade bread and pumpkin pie. . . plus! Our house isn't big, so we eat in shifts, the guys watch football and we ALWAYS take a family photo (for the Christmas cards). I love Thanksgiving!

Esteemed Contributor

Seriously, last year we went to Burger King. We have a friend who is developmentally disabled, and we always see him on the holidays. I felt compassion for the people who had to work the griddles.

We'll see what this year holds. I'm not opposed to cooking the turkey breast i have in the freezer. We'll include our friend, and give him a respite from the group home. Oh - and we always give a bunch of groceries to our local shelter for homeless women and their kids.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

While I miss the big holidays of my childhood I'm grateful for what I have now, my small family, through good times and bad, sitting all together around the table and giving thanks for one another.

Maria

Valued Contributor

On 10/30/2014 lork said:

I have inherited hosting the family Thanksgiving Dinner. No longer is it my extended family, just Mom, siblings, our children & their children (23). . .Lunch is the traditional turkey, dressing, sweet & mashed potatoes, cranberry relish, homemade bread and pumpkin pie. . . plus! Our house isn't big, so we eat in shifts, the guys watch football and we ALWAYS take a family photo (for the Christmas cards). I love Thanksgiving!

what a good idea to take a family photo!
Honored Contributor

Not much.

Honored Contributor

No local family.......I get deli

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Big family dinner. Always. My family is scattered all over the world, but we always have a good-sized group because everyone really tries to be there. Not everyone comes every year, but everyone tries. It's not just a family obligation. We have fun!

We have turkey & all the traditional things. And usually a fire in the fireplace and really good food, hot cider, lots of wine, great desserts, etc. Sometimes in NY, sometimes elsewhere. My children never lived near any of their cousins, but they're all grown up now and they're all good friends, largely because of spending holidays - especially Thanksgiving - together.

Thanksgiving is and always has been my favorite holiday. We don't celebrate Christmas, so it's the biggest family holiday of the year for us, and I love it!

Kiss

Valued Contributor

On 10/30/2014 NYC Susan said:

Big family dinner. Always. My family is scattered all over the world, but we always have a good-sized group because everyone really tries to be there. Not everyone comes every year, but everyone tries. It's not just a family obligation. We have fun!

We have turkey & all the traditional things. And usually a fire in the fireplace and really good food, hot cider, lots of wine, great desserts, etc. Sometimes in NY, sometimes elsewhere. My children never lived near any of their cousins, but they're all grown up now and they're all good friends, largely because of spending holidays - especially Thanksgiving - together.

Thanksgiving is and always has been my favorite holiday. We don't celebrate Christmas, so it's the biggest family holiday of the year for us, and I love it!

Kiss

sounds wonderful!