Honored Contributor

Now I'm confused -- Oils v. Moisturizers

In just the last week or so, I've seen two different beauty vendors on different shopping channels state that oil does not hydrate nor does it moisturize and that it basically sits on top of the skin. At least one if not both even demonstrated this difference, although I can't recall the details.

While I do still use a day and night moisturizer, I have also been using facial oils, usually Argan or Marula.

Why should I continue to use them if they don't moisturize or hydrate my skin? Or was I misinformed? I'd love to hear some credible reasons that I should continue to enjoy these oils, other than that maybe they just help seal in my moisturizer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Re: Now I'm confused -- Oils v. Moisturizers

What HD says too! I tried to add that as an edit but Q vs iPad strikes again. Anyway, HD said it better that I would have. Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

that is funny because doesn't Josie say over and over how it moisturizes your skin and smooths out wrinkles? Well, if it didn't penetrate the skin (i.e. JUST sits atop it), how could it do any of that?

But I digress, lol!

So, oils, imho, shouldn't be the sole source of moisturization. They DO deliver important nutrients (fatty acids, squalene, vitamins, etc) to the skin, some better than others due to the type of oil and its molecular size and ability to penetrate the various layers of the skin, but I think oils work best by supporting the lipid barrier to help prevent moisture loss, fight free radicals and prevent inflammation and irritation.

Don't know if that helps or not. I have a few studies that I can email if you want? Just let me know.

Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 BellaCarro said: In my mind, it's an occlusive versus humectant issue. As I'm sure you know, humectants attract moisture (glycerin, lactates, etc.,) whereas occlusives (many or most oils) create a barrier and hold the moisture in. IMO, you need both.

I like the word "occlusive." {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

But seriously (sort of), okay, so if I put on a moisturizer and seal it with oil, then how is my moisturizer able to attract moisture through that...occlusion. Or am I so occluded that I am concluding incorrectly?

How are you, my friend? We seem never to meet these days.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 HappyDaze said:

that is funny because doesn't Josie say over and over how it moisturizes your skin and smooths out wrinkles? Well, if it didn't penetrate the skin (i.e. JUST sits atop it), how could it do any of that?

But I digress, lol!

So, oils, imho, shouldn't be the sole source of moisturization. They DO deliver important nutrients (fatty acids, squalene, vitamins, etc) to the skin, some better than others due to the type of oil and its molecular size and ability to penetrate the various layers of the skin, but I think oils work best by supporting the lipid barrier to help prevent moisture loss, fight free radicals and prevent inflammation and irritation.

Don't know if that helps or not. I have a few studies that I can email if you want? Just let me know.

Oh, brother, first I have to deal with BC's occlusiveness and now you're getting me involved with radicals -- free, no less. Ah, you've been reading my sig lines, no doubt. Wink

No, no, I believe you both. I just wonder whether we've put too much stock into the whole oil thing. Some here have given up moisturizers in favor of just oils.

Respected Contributor

On 10/30/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 10/30/2014 BellaCarro said: In my mind, it's an occlusive versus humectant issue. As I'm sure you know, humectants attract moisture (glycerin, lactates, etc.,) whereas occlusives (many or most oils) create a barrier and hold the moisture in. IMO, you need both.

I like the word "occlusive." {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

But seriously (sort of), okay, so if I put on a moisturizer and seal it with oil, then how is my moisturizer able to attract moisture through that...occlusion. Or am I so occluded that I am concluding incorrectly?

How are you, my friend? We seem never to meet these days.

Oh, that's good! Glad you quoted my first post as it is now gone.
So, you can apply a lotion that is solely a humectant I suppose and then "seal" with an oil. I can't imagine that an oil would seal your skin so thoroughly that no moisture molecules could enter. I think you might be hard pressed to find a humectant only lotion. IMO, I don't think it would be very nice on the skin if you did. All I can think of is the feeling of straight glycerin on the skin and that is just nasty.
Thanks for asking. I've missed catching you, too. I'm dealing with teen DS. Think I've alluded to it before. Much progress! New swim season for DD. Everything good with you?
Respected Contributor

Wow! You just penned a new rock group name! The Occlusive Radicals!!
Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 10/30/2014 HappyDaze said:

But I digress, lol!

So, oils, imho, shouldn't be the sole source of moisturization. They DO deliver important nutrients (fatty acids, squalene, vitamins, etc) to the skin, some better than others due to the type of oil and its molecular size and ability to penetrate the various layers of the skin, but I think oils work best by supporting the lipid barrier to help <em>prevent</em> moisture loss, fight free radicals and prevent inflammation and irritation.

Oh, brother, first I have to deal with BC's occlusiveness and now you're getting me involved with radicals -- free, no less. Ah, you've been reading my sig lines, no doubt. Wink

No, no, I believe you both. I just wonder whether we've put too much stock into the whole oil thing. Some here have given up moisturizers in favor of just oils.

{#emotions_dlg.lol} haha, somehow I knew you'd make a smarty pants comment about the radicals! You never disappoint, lol!

I don't particularly use a moisturizer, per se, but I do use the Vit C serum and now also the matrixyl serum which both provide my skin with a variety of ingredients I think my skin needs and which a moisturizer may also provide. Or sometimes my BHA is the lotion which essentially acts as a moisturizer in a way. But I don't think you need "a moisturizer" if you are getting the ingredients your skin needs to attract or increase moisture via your serums or other creams. For example, the vitamin C contain hyaluronic acid which, as you know, increases moisture in the skin. So, like Bella mentioned, it is bringing moisture to the skin. So I think if your other products include ingredients that draw moisture into your skin or works to increase moisture, then no need to also add a "moisturizer". I only forgo a true moisturizer when I know my other products are doing what a moisturizer is meant to do. If that makes sense? Personally, I would never solely use an oil.

Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 BellaCarro said: Wow! You just penned a new rock group name! The Occlusive Radicals!!

Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 BellaCarro said: Wow! You just penned a new rock group name! The Occlusive Radicals!!

I LOVE IT!

Not sure about the humectant lotion. I just use my PC moisturizers. I'm sure you're right, though, that if an oil was thick enough to prevent moisture getting to my skin, it would probably suffocate me.

BC, I have a daughter. Enough said, although she is older than yours and past those difficult years. Good to know about that progress. She will be just fine, I bet.